• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Please Help

welshdragon1

FPCH New Member
I had a power cut whilst my pc was on ,power was restored and the pc seemed to be ok, everything was workimg fine untill i tried to burn a dvd,It would not let me,so i checked my computer and it showed neither of my asus dvd drives, tried checking what i could but my device manager showed no cd/dvd drives.
Took it too a pc repair shop he reset a jumper on the motherboard, then turned it on and it said new hardware and found both dvd drives but when you turn it off to bring it home the next time you turn it on both drives are missing again Please help this is driving me nuts, have been advised in could be m/b in need of replacing but my asus p5k se is only 10 months old

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Welshdragon

Welcome to Free PC Help

Ok first make sure the power is off and take the side off the pc, check that the ribbon cable is secure to both optical drives and the mother board.
Check also that the 4 pin molex power connectors are secure.

Boot up and get into the bios by pressing Del or whatever key it needs on your machine and check if the drives are found.

welshdragon1

FPCH New Member
ty wolfeymoe

I tried that the drives have got power because they open and close checked the lead i even tried to put a new one in but still same problem any idea's?

W

Wolfeymole

Ok go back into Device Manager and uninstall the drives, reboot and allow XP to find the drives as new hardware.

welshdragon1

FPCH New Member
A big thankyou

Problem Nearly sorted,My os is to blame reset m/b and put in new battery,Only to find out there's nothing wrong with m/b .
when i had a power cut vista become corrupt,will reinstall vista then everything should work O.K. (Touch wood) according to repair shop.
Thanks again Wolfeymole for all your help:)