• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

please please advice needed usb!!!

kilster

FPCH Member
can anyone give me a few pointers, whenever i plug anything into my usb ports it doesnt detect anything, ive been told to look in device manager but its not listed (it would say usb port wouldnt it) please any new advice will be grateful. thanks ps if ive reinstalled windows xp do i have to get drivers or anything. where it says ports it says com and lpt, then under it says bluetooth serial port a couple of times, then comunications port, if that is any help

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I ***ume you're going to the Device Manager. If not, right click on My Computer and go down to Properties. Click on the Hardware tab and choose Device Manager.

At the bottom does it say Universal Serial bus controllers? It should and there should be a + sign to the left. Click on that to expand and you should see a Host Controller and a Host Hub.

Is that what you see?

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Yes if you just re-installed Windows XP then more then likely your USB controllers are not functional without specific drivers.

If your system has an AMD CPU then get the latest chipset drivers from here: Click

If your system an Intel CPU then get the latest chipset drivers from here: Click

Install them and reboot.

Go to Microsoft and make sure you get the Windows XP Service Pack 2 and install it.

When looking in your Device Manager you need to make sure there are no YELLOW or RED indicators as that means one or more devices are not working.

If you need further ***istance please let us know.

kilster

FPCH Member
im just letting you know that in the bios screen (advanced settings) it was turned off (disabled). Thanks for your help.