• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Posted by yankee34

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
yankee34 said:
Please help, Firstly my machine spec.....

AMD Athlon (tm) xp 2400+, 2.01ghz, 480mb of RAM

Motherboard : MS-6390 (v3x)

The user guide says I can upgrade the memory to a max of 2gb in any combination of

PC2100 184 pin DDR SDRAM 266MHZ .....(2.5v)

My problem is that it wont let me, I purchased 2x 512mhz PC2100 184 pin DDR SDRAM 266MHZ .....(2.5v), installed correctly & checked, then all I get is an audible alarm & the PC won't boot up.... Can you please help, I've down loaded the Motherboard User guide all 3 versions & followed the steps....... still won't work

Thanks for listening..... yankee34

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi
Have you tried to put only one in and see if it works?
Make sure everything is securely seated, and i mean everything even check the other cards.

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Hi all,
been away for a while so may be rusty
have you checked to make sure your new ram is NOT ecc (error checking) not all boards are compatible with this.
like the other guys said try the sticks indiviually and in all slots. make sure you use either a staic wrist strap or earth yourself by holding one hand on the power supply.
regards
danzil