• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Precarious tree.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
The house I just bought has a huge pine tree in the front yard that is leaning at about a 40 degree angle from vertical. It's very healthy and looks solid though. I'm just worried that one windy, stormy night it's going to come crashing down. Which would be kind of cool except for the fact the it's leaning toward my neighbors house!

I'd hate to have it get cut down, but I don't see any other option. I don't think some support rope will work for a 10,000 LB tree:)

This is going to cost me a boat load isn't it?

W

Wolfeymole

Several options here Seth mate

1: Secure the tree with steel cable wrapped round anchored to concrete blocks buried about 6` deep.

2: Hire scaffolding and cut the tree down bit by bit.

3: Cut a notch in it that only requires a finger push to topple it. (This only applies if your neighbour is in the way and you don't like him)

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Thanks Wolfey.

It's about 60' tall, so I think I'll have to call a "tree pro" to come have a look at it.

W

Wolfeymole

On a serious note mate it needs to come out because if the wind gets it one night and twists it you may find it heading in your direction.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Actually it might not be as hard as you think Seth. I had one in my back yard about that size that was starting to break the concrete on my garage so I had to take it out.

The wife thinks I can do everything a handyman can, so I climbed up a bit and used an electric chainsaw and took it down notch by notch. Then chopped it up over 2 weeks and put in the normal gardening waste cans.

Though, if it were not for the wife I'd have probably paid someone else to do it. :grin:

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Thanks Advanced. I'll keep that in mind.

But what about the large branches at the 30 to 40 foot level? Or the trunk that's about three feet across?

Maybe I'll take a picture of it tomorrow and post it here.