• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Problem installing updates for microsoft office xp

Hedge

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi, I have just clicked on new updates to download and it can't find service pack 3. It then comes up with a box sayin the path cannot be found etc. What shall I do?

Hedge

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Here's what it comes up with in a box:

Microsoft Office XP Professional

The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available

Insert the 'Microsoft Office XP Professional disk and click OK

Use source
Microsoft Office XP Professional

Hedge

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
if i'm right in saying so, it was all on da comp when I got it. I haven't tried microsoft yet. what shall i do?

W

Wolfeymole

It sounds to me like you have some kind of trial Office package.
Click the link I gave and look at the right hand side for the section "Check for free updates", MS should then examine your pc to determine what you need.
Obviously make sure you are running IE when you do so.

Hedge

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
hi, i've just done the above but its still failing. I have double checked that I don't have this disc lying around. Any other suggestions?

W

Wolfeymole

I know your saying you want to install updates but the updates won't be on the disk and that message indicates that's what it's looking for.
Are you trying to install something else?
For example on the old Office 2000 if I wanted to change the assistant I had to insert the disk to do so.
What error messages did you get when you went to Microsoft?

Hedge

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
no not trying to install anything. Just the yellow shiel was there so I clicked on it 2 install these updates and that's when I found this box. It says the same on microsoft update.

W

Wolfeymole

Go back to MS on that link I gave you, scroll down and install Service Pack 3 for Office XP.

Hedge

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
ok i've done this. Does it matter if I selected run instead of save but then cancelled it and saved it the second time? I'm downloading the file where I have no access to the cd..this is right I take it?

Hedge

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
ok its still comin up with the box with cannot find source. Update cannot be applied

W

Wolfeymole

Your confusing the hell out of me here Hedge.
Click Start and All Programs tell me if Office is there.

Hedge

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Rightot access, excel, powerpoint viewer 2003, powerpoint, word, microsoft office tools, microsoft works.
I'll try sending you the error box now print screen.

Hedge

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
here's the print screen

Hedge

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
why isn't is showin up..it says i have uploaded the pic under the manage attachments bit. I save it as a jpeg. would that bother it?

W

Wolfeymole

Browse to the folder where the pic is, click upload then click the red X off and the top right corner

W

Wolfeymole

The error is generated because it's looking for setup files on the cdrom.
Is this a version of Office you've downloaded from somewhere Hedge?

Hedge

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
no just that i seen the shield (yellow) whcih indicates there's updates to be had, and then this came up. The only one i've tried to download is the one you told me to