• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Problem with DVD Drive

janinebl

FPCH Member
I have a Phillips DVDR1648P1 drive in my PC which I put in a couple of years ago. It plays DVDs and it has also written them although I have had problems here but that may have been to do with duff discs. It will have nothing whatsoever to do with CDs anymore - won't even read them. The drive is running in DMA mode (something I read said to check that) and Windows and SiSoft Sandra both say it's ok but its lack of functionality tells a different story.

Thanks to anyone who has any suggestions

janine

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
There are difference hardware used to access CD's and DVD's. It looks like the CD section has failed. It's been my experience that the DVD section usually fails. Usually what happens is that the disk spins up, but it's not recognized.

help4me

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Basic
Have you tried a firmware/driver update?

janinebl

FPCH Member
Thanks for prompt replies

Yeah, do have the latest drivers.

The light comes on and it knocks around a bit but doesn't get into a purposeful spin (if you know what I mean) and then zilch - doesn't report that it has a disc or anything.

janine

W

Wolfeymole

I'd zip off to Curry's and get a new optical drive Janine, it sounds like yours is knackered love.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
I wouldn't get a new drive just yet.

It's cheap enough to purchase a cdrom cleaner, and there's a good chance that will work. Even
if it doesn't though, it's good to have.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Since the DVD portion works, I think the lens is clean, but it can't hurt to try a cleaning.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Kelly said:
Since the DVD portion works, I think the lens is clean, but it can't hurt to try a cleaning.
Hmmm. Doesn't the DVD use a different lens?

janinebl

FPCH Member
Should've seen this coming! The drive won't recognise the cleaner disc so no cleaning.

I expect the next step will have to be replacement but it's annoying because the drive has hardly been used at all (otherwise I'm sure I'd,ve realised there was a problem while it was still under warranty). It plays DVDs absolutely fine, it tries to write DVDs but that operation seems to invariably fail and it just does nothing with CDs now (where for a while it played them very badly).

Possibly the last time I shell out 50% extra to have a name brand!

janine

W

Wolfeymole

I've said it before Janine and I'll say it again, I wouldn't buy anything from a company that also makes Steam Irons.

Consider an LG drive as they are quite good, but don't get a Liteon