• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Problem With Flash Drive

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
I was using a Transcend USB 2.0 flash drive. But whenever I click on the safely remove hardware tray icon, I get a message saying "The generic volume cannot be removed now. Try again later." But waiting for even an hour does not help.

My Configuration is
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Intel D946 Motherboard
1 GB RAM
40 GB HDD
Windows XP professional service pack 2

Last edited:

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
If an application is accessing the device while you are trying to start the "safely remove hardware" procedure, the system will show this message to avoid losing data. To enable a succesfull removal, just close all applications that are related to the drive, such as for example Explorer, Media Player which might be playing files directly from the device...etc.

Source : BTC

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
...and even that sometimes doesn't work. In such a case, shut down the computer then remove the drive.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
As long as you're not actively saving a file to the USB drive and you're sure that you've waited a couple minutes for any saves to flush from memory to the drive and you don't knowingly have an application open using the drive then I'd just turn it off myself. I've done that for years now and have never had any failures on the drive.

Often it could even be Antivirus checking the drive - doesn't really matter as the point is - as long as you're not writing to the device then you can safely remove it.

If you are writing to the drive and you remove it then you'll get an error message pop up that the system could not write to the device. In which case you then do need to find out what is holding the drive open for write access and stop it or shut down the computer or you will have file loss or damage.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Yes he does and I did reply as well. For the very small drives it "might" be okay but for any real external USB drive that is a dedicated or semi-dedicated drive you should find that copying files to your drive are extremely slow with caching disabled.

However it's still an option or choice for those interested in using it.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Despite my previous safety post, I agree with AS.

Just pull it out if all else fails.