• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Problems with CD drive / E: drive

cipollini

FPCH New Member
Hi,

This is my first post, so apologies for any glaring errors

The E: drive of my old PC has started to play up. Specifically, I have begun to have errors when burning CDs. Sometimes I can fill the CD with data, and problems occur during the eject phase, when the PC freezes, and sometimes the drive will not even burn images / date to a CD.

I uninstalled & reinstalled the CD burninng software (Roxio ECDC / Direct CD 5), but this has not changed the situation.

Also the E: drive now cannot install the CD burn software, although the D: drive (CDRW) can.

I would be grateful for any help.

Rob.

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Rob

Welcome to FPCH

Seeing as you posted this issue in the Windows 98 etc forum can I ask if the drives in question are running on a 98 machine and exactly how old these drives are please?

cipollini

FPCH New Member
Hi,

The operating system is ME. The drive is the original one which came in the PC, which I guess I bought around 6 years ago.

Everything was fine last week, and then I started having the problem where the CD burning process would error during the final stages. Then I did the uninstall / reinstall.

Seems to be getting worse, as in last 2 days it won't even format a blank CD.

W

Wolfeymole

To be brutally frank Rob the drives had it mate, you've been lucky to get 6 years out of it.
If the D: drive is the same age then that won't have long to go either.

In fact, if the whole system is that age then I seriously recommend getting a new setup.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. :(

samuria

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Pc Guru
Operating System
Windows XP - Professional
To be brutally frank Rob the drives had it mate, you've been lucky to get 6 years out of it.
If the D: drive is the same age then that won't have long to go either.

In fact, if the whole system is that age then I seriously recommend getting a new setup.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. :(

Check your drive c for errors as if its crashed doing a cd it may corrupt the c drive. Its worth just running scandisk to ensure that there are no problems. A cd cleaner may help with that age of cd