• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Pushing a network to its limits

My mac's been connected for months, having restarted my router a few times in that time. Will try and find a way of getting a similar screenshot.

Also the servers at work have been connected for, erm, ages. Will try and find out how long today. They're linux, of course.

As for Windows, well, it's lucky to be switched on for a day without a reboot, stupid thing.

Andy

merciarich

FPCH Member
andyhargreaves said:
As for Windows, well, it's lucky to be switched on for a day without a reboot, stupid thing.
Just another reason why we should all move on from Windows lol

I havent actually restarted my PC yet, I'm just a little fed up with it being sluggish because it hasnt had a reboot for a week and a half. Also, I've had to do 3 router resets in that time lol.

Current timer is 11 days, 3 hours lol

Jamey

FPCH Member
I'm betting Mike's Smoothwall firewall/router machine has a very long uptime, which would solve the router issue. The reason Windows needs rebooting often is because there are many memory holes and, of course, silly bugs that allow memory to be allocated and never completely freed for the system again.

My Ubuntu system has recently been on for three days running with no slow-down at all! :D

I

imported_Mike

You’re not wrong Jamey.

26 days uptime from smoothy. Only reason I had to restart last time was due to my ISP.

Longest uptime I’ve had is 37 days.

kthdsn

FPCH Member
I can leave my ubuntu machine on for weeks on end with absolutely no problems. In fact the only reasons I have ever restared it are for kernel upgrades and once because it couldn't find my internet connection. When I ran windows I had to restart all the time, it drove me mad.

With windows 98se I had terrible problems, the clock would start to go out of sync, and the machine would crawl. Restarting was a temporary fix, but the performance and clock degraded faster and faster each time until I was having to restart every 30 minutes. I searched for help from microsoft and found the issue in the knowledge base. It seemed they knew it happened but weren't prepared to fix it. How nice of them.

What amazes me is you pay so much money for windows, and microsoft won't fix it, yet you download a free OS such as ubuntu and whenever there is a problem its immediately addressed and corrected. Why pay?

Hi Mike , guess who?

Smoothwall custom defense up 42 days, 10:26

My webserver/mythtv/voip/ftp/2 terabyte (raid 5) fileserver probably went down at the same time.

I think we had a power cut long enough to take out the ups 42 days ago....