• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Ram Upgrade Advice

crz15

FPCH Member
Hi all i have currently upgraded my processor to a intel core 2 quad Q6600 8 mb cache with 1066 mhz bus ,

i currently have 1gb pc 6400 ram (2x512) dual ddr 2 installed running at 800 mhz and im wanting to add more

so my question is am i better of upgrading to pc 8500 1066 mhz bus or just adding another 1 or 2 gb pc 6400 at 800 mhz ???

also would adding 2 gb of pc 6400 (2x1gb) be a mistake since i have 1gb (512x2) dual ddr2 ???

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

If you have a specific game or application that uses more than 1GB of RAM during normal use or if you load up multiple applications and you're running low on physical RAM then that would indicate you need more RAM.
However many people never use up their physical RAM with that much, again it depends on what you do with your computer.

Programs like AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, Maya, Divx, etc do take advantage of more RAM when available as well as multi-processors like you have. But, putting more RAM in because you read it in a magazine or your buddy next door said it would be cool is not a reason to spend money in my opinion. I want to know that I'm being hampered and why before spending money on hardware.

Overclocking - can be good for running some things a bit faster but unless you have the knowledge and the money to support it then it can be a waste of time and money.
It is quite easy to make the wrong settings and burn out a component such as the CPU (which has tell tale signs and Intel and AMD will not cover it under warranty). It also creates higher heat levels which need to be compensated for or you may burn it out or reduce the life span drastically.
Nothing wrong with Overclocking as long as you know why you're doing it and the pros/cons of it.

So, first I think you need to rationalize why you want a Quad Core and why you want more RAM and what do you get from each, don't forget that the hard drive can be a very limiting factor as well depending on what task(s) you're trying to do. Totally up to you but faster memory (all chips have to be the same speed or all will reduce speed to match the slowest generally) really does not provide all that much bang for the buck in my opinion.

What applications or games are you running and what issues are you running into that makes you think you need more RAM?

I ask these things to see if we can help you to make a better choice for your money based on real information not just from hearsay on the Web.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi read this and you'll see the disadvantages is more than the advantages you get. Besides why would you want to overclock a pc that can already do anything.

Hi read this and you'll see the disadvantages is more than the advantages you get. Besides why would you want to overclock a pc that can already do anything.
OK. I'm not sure how you gather that from the Wiki but i'll tell you this i'd rather spend 12m encoding than 24... Your arguing a point that don't wash with a season overclocker. Not once in my long career have I "burned up" a chip,chipset or anything else aside from a few sticks of RAM and that was from overvolting beyond what I knew they could handle.

I think we should agree to disagree. You keep blowing your cash on overpriced hardware and i'll keep
overclocking systems that will smoke anything you can buy and at less than 1/2 the cost. ;)

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
I'm not saying your right or wrong, you have your opion and i have mine. The point is why would you want to over clock a proccessor that can handle 99.9%(if not 100%) of all applications without a problem. And this is not a cheap processor. If he was you, yes fine overclock, but if he hasnt been overclocking CPU's for a couple of years and know excactly what to do, its not worth trying and doing something wrong, and ending up with a fried CPU!

crz15

FPCH Member
thanks for all your input ive decided to upgrade my ram to 2 GB of pc 8500 @1066mhz as overclockers have crucial ballsitix 2gb for £60 at the moment and as im mainly using my pc for high end games like crysis i think that it will better for cpu rather than slowing its bus speed to match the ram

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Ah! there you go. [SIZE=-1]Crysis is quite the hog for computer resources.

What video card are you running in your system? A good video card is quite necessary for high end video games as I'm sure you're aware.

The recently released Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT is actually a pretty good card for the money. Not as good in some respects as the 8800 series but those are also quite a bit more money. I actually just bought one the other day - a BFG 9600 GT OC for $200 US Dollar at Best Buy
[/SIZE]BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT OC 512MB PCIe 2.0[SIZE=-1]

Can't afford an 8800 Ultra

[/SIZE]

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
I'm not saying your right or wrong, you have your opion and i have mine. The point is why would you want to over clock a proccessor that can handle 99.9%(if not 100%) of all applications without a problem. And this is not a cheap processor. If he was you, yes fine overclock, but if he hasnt been overclocking CPU's for a couple of years and know excactly what to do, its not worth trying and doing something wrong, and ending up with a fried CPU!

Good point Maynard.