• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Rebooting and freezing

ICAP

FPCH New Member
Not sure if this is in the right thread but here goes,
I know a little about pc's but this problem has stumped me.
On initial start up the computer can do either of the following:

1) Get to the start up screen (press del to enter set up) and it just reboots.
2) Get to the log into windows screen then reboots.
3) Get to the log into windows screen then just freezes.
4) Starts up no problem gets to the desk top, open programs then just freezes or reboots.

This happens every time i switch the pc on, after about 5 attempts it suddenly works perfectly and it can be switched on
and off all day without a problem, if its left for say 5 hours the problems start again.
Any advice would be appreciated.

CAP

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi ICAP:

Not sure what's going on here but It would help if you supply more information.

What make and model of computer?
What Operating system?
Any new software installed lately?

Could be hardware which I only have limited experience.

Could be software.

Could be a simple fix based on the operating system.

Can you supply more details please?

RandyL

orange24

FPCH New Member
I am having problems with my notebook when I power it up it comes up to a black gateway screen that is very dimm and then locks up I have installed a motherboard in it because the power supply broke off my other board