• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

recalling from memory ?

w3bus3r

FPCH New Member
can anybody help plz we need to be able to trace back from someone using msn on a this pc,i need to recall the past week of chat.
if there is antone who can help it would be of the greatest help
thanx

merciarich

FPCH Member
Greetings, w3bus3r and welcome to Free PC Help.

I will show you some screenshots of how to do it:

Locate a folder named "My Received Files" within My Documents:

Within "My Recived Files", locate the folder that has the name of your email address:

Within that folder click "History". You will then see Notepad files of all the saved chat logs. Past months will be placed in folders named after that respective month

If you have problems finding the folder within My Documents, go to MSN, click "Tools" then click "Options". Next, hit the "Messages" tab. The filename showed in the "Save my conversations" box is where the notepad files can be located. By default, this will be your "My Received Files" folder within My Documents:

(Image not available. Broken link.)

If you need any more assistance, please do post back.

Regards,

merciarich

help4me

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Basic
I see how that works for MSN, but is there a similar something for yahoo, especially yahoo IM? On one computer I have the IM's saved to that computer, but on another computer I didn't do that, so I was wondering if those messages would be saved elsewhere in a similar fashion to the MSN received documents as described in your post merciarich?

W

Wolfeymole

Have a look at this Bonnie

Sourced from Yahoo Answers

Sign in to your Yahoo! Messenger.
Click 'messenger' menu
Click 'preferences'
Click "Archives'
Click to check 'Yes, Save all of My Messages'
Click 'apply' and 'ok'
Now chat and at the end of your chat go to 'Message Archives' under the 'Contacts' menu and you can view your chat messages offline.

help4me

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Right.... and I do that on my home computer. But in 2006 I was visiting my mom before she died, so I had gone to options and deselected that so as not to save my IM's on her computer and clog up her machine. I was just wondering if perchance there was another place those messages might have been stored that I didn't know about, as I would like to retrieve some of those messages if possible.

W

Wolfeymole

I don't know whether Yahoo is like Googletalk, ie all IM's are saved on the server rather than like MS Live Messenger which saves to a designated folder.

If Yahoo is like MS and you deleted the folder/chats then I doubt if they would be anywhere else love.

help4me

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
That's what I was afraid of. But perhaps the person I was talking with saved the conversation. I was just curious. Thanks Wolf :)