• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Recognizing Hibertate from Shut Down

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I often use Hibernate to shut down an XP machine. I am curious as to how Windows knows how to start. How does it know to resume or start from ground up?

W

Wolfeymole

Have you read this short article from MS Tony?

Use Hibernate and Standby to Conserve Batteries

Quite honestly I'd never use Hibernation in any shape or form as I have heard so many bad issues resulting from enabling a pc to do so.
Hibernation to me equates to turning the hard drive and monitor off after a given period.
Either the pc is on or it's off, end of story.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I use Hibernate often, eapecially with this Motion Computing handheld device that I've recently acquired for a test drive. On my desktop machine and on this little device, I rarely encounter a problem. My question remains - when you boot the machine from a powered down state, what tells Windows to boot from the Hibernated state rather than from a fresh start?

W

Wolfeymole

Well it's not a fresh start is it Tony, a new boot etc.
You are not truly shutting the machine down.
It's like leaving the car running while you nip off to the mall.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I have to differ. In Hibertate, unlike Standby, the machine state is written to the HD. You can actually pull the power cord. Plug the PC in later, start it up, and it brings you to where you were shen you 'Hibernated'. Of course I may be wrong, but that's my understanding and my experience.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
That's right Kelly.

The contents of the ram and whatever else need be, are written to a root file on the drive. On boot, XP checks to see if the file is valid, and if so, proceeds to load it.