• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Recording music tracks at a uniform volume

Ray1000

FPCH Member
PC Experience
I hope everyone is well,
An elderly friend asked me to look on the internet for a “Sound Finalizer”
Using a stereo system he records individual songs from CD’s onto blank CD’s and was wanting something to equalise the volume on each track. Someone had suggested this is what he needed.
I only found a TC Electronic Finalizer which seems to be an expensive, vintage, complex piece of studio equipment.

Q. Presumably it can all be done on an inexpensive laptop?

Q. Is the software readily available?

Q. He has never had a computer, but I wondered if it could be made to be easy with a set of written instructions.

Thank you
Ray

AWS

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
I can't seem to find any software for doing what he wants to do. I am sure there is something. I just can't find any. I did find the sound finalizer which is a piece of hardware. Don't know if that's what he wants. Problem is the site selling them is in German and they are expensive.

Ray1000

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Thank you AWS,
Apart from being expensive it may not be compatible with his equipment, not to mention the complexity of operating it. I'm sure the laptop route would be easier for him if the software is available.
Ray

PC Experience
Very Experienced
I'm not sure I understood the question but are the songs converted to MP3 from the original CD before being written to the CDRW? If so would something like MP3 Gain be any good? Software to "normalize" the volume of the whole disc before it is written?

Ray1000

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Sorry for the delay in replying RK ... this person doesn't have a PC of any kind, he was looking to even out the volume of individual tracks from original CDs copied onto blank CDs using his HiFi equipment ... I suggested to him he may be able to do it with an inexpensive laptop and some yet unknown software and still be able to play the CDs on his stereo.

Ray