• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Reformatting hard drive

ovingite

FPCH New Member
Hi,
I have a persistent problem with Windows and every time I open a Windows application the Windows Installer launches and I have to wait 3-5 minutes before I can carry on. I have run Adaware, Reg Edit, Bug Doctor and dowloaded the Windows fix for WI - none of which have resolved the problem. I checked the hard drive and there doesn't appear to be any problem sectors, so I am about to give up and F-disk the drive and start again.

I am running XP Home and have 2 x 80GB drives. I only want to reformat the C: drive (the f: drive contains only data - no programmes) but when I go into f-disk, it only sees the f:drive and not the c:drive.

Can anyone tell me a way of formatting only the c: drive please? Also, is there anything I need to do before I nuke it? I have at least one programme running (MindJet) that I no longer have the original CD for. Is there any way I can copy all of its files onto the F: before I wipe c: ? (to avoid losing it)

Thanks

Ovingite

W

Wolfeymole

Without the XP disk your in the soup Ovingite.

You can copy your files onto the F drive and just format C: just remember that you can't copy any windows files over.
The only way to do this would be to use a program similar to Acronis True Image.

You are mistaken when you say FDisk cannot see C: drive, it can but it will report it as a non dos partition.