• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Renaming folders (serially); Frustration with available programs

PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows 7- Ultimate
I have a number of folders which I want to rename serially - but not manually. I have searched The Net for renamers, and found many programs that claim to do renaming of files AND FOLDERS. Those that have the serialisation option, do not offer it for FOLDERS. Others ask for rules - I have failed to formulate a successful one. Am I asking for the impossible, or does a simple solution keep escaping me ? Programs I have looked at include Batch File Utility 3; Namewiz 4.11; Metmorphose 2.0.7.0; Fast Folder Rename 1.5; Quick FileRename 9.0.2; 123Renamer; and Renamer 5.5

PseFrank

FPCH Long Term Member
I've done a search on this subject pertaining to Windows ME but At the moment am unable to find any information. But......

What you want, if I'm understanding you correctly can be done in Windows XP. So it might work in Windows ME as well. You have nothing to lose by conducting an experiment.

Try this...
1) Open up your My Documents or My Pictures folder.

2) Make 3 or more new folders, and give them all different names.

3) Select all of the new folders. (It does not matter if they are divided by other files or folders)

4) Now Right Click on the first of the folders and click Rename. Call it something like My Test.

5) Hit the Enter key on your keyboard. The first folder should now be named My Test...The second will be named My Test (1)... The third My Test (2) and so on....

Naming files using the above method is slightly different. When renaming a batch of files you do exactly the same as you did with the folders except you Must add the file extension when naming the first file.

Example:
If you have 30 jpeg photos from your weekend in the city, and lets say that 10 where taken at the Boat show... 10 at the Art gallery... and 10 at the Beach.

Select all of the Boat show pics and right click on the first one and rename it Boat show.jpg. Now hit the Enter key. And you should have the Boat show.jpg... and 9 others named Boat show (1).jpg ..Boat show (2).jpg and so on...

Now of course you'd have to do the same with your Art gallery pics and also the Beach pics. If you don't add the file extension this won't work properly.

Note:
Just for those people who don't know... If you want to select multiple files or folders that are positioned sequentially... Click on the first one to highlight it and then press and hold the Shift Key before clicking on the last file or folder in the sequence.

To select multiple files or folders that are divided by other files... Press and hold down the CTRL Key and click on each file or folder in turn.

Hope this works out for you.

PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows 7- Ultimate
PseFrank - what you have written is VERY interesting. I don't know where you got the idea I wanted this for WinME, as I certainly do not - I want it for WinXP, so it is 'right up my alley'. I already have a very effective serial renamer for FILES - it is FOLDERs that I lacked a renaming technique for - one you have now given me. I will report back about my success (or lack of it). Thank you very much. I just hope it does not require the folders to be in \My Documents\My Pictures\, as they in fact are on a 'data-HDD'.

Last edited:

PseFrank

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi Sebastian,

The reason I thought you where running Windows Me is because that's what it says under your details. (Look to the left of your post) But that's ok, no problem.

You will find that this method will work in any windows folder. Glad I was able to point you in the right direction.

PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows 7- Ultimate
<< The reason I thought you where running Windows Me is because that's what it says under your details.>> It is in my details because WinMe is the system I normally use and from which I am sending this post.

<< You will find that this method will work in any windows folder.>> I did indeed. It does not quite produce the effect I wanted, but is WAY AHEAD of any other technique I have tried - I can probably live with the results ! (or modify them a tad.) I have seen that phenomenon of (1), (2) etc being added when COPYING, so I was not totally ignorant of the effect, but had not thought to apply it to Rename. Thanks heaps. [ I expect it WOULD work in WinMe, too]