• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

RJ11 or RJ45?

JUanToomany

FPCH Member
Hello

I am in a bit of a quandary. I have a wireless router but use a wired connection to my pc which I keep upstairs. The main phone socket is around 15 metres away downstairs and the connection to the two is by standard cable. My connection and browsing speed is pretty poor and I have been told these cables may help but I am unsure what to buy.....hope you guys can help..thanks

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Juan

You should be using RJ45 cable from the laptop to the router now.
Have you tried running it wirelessly?
How far away is the router from the BT socket?

W

Wolfeymole

No don't, I assumed it to be a laptop.
The way you speak says you must be running from the network card on the desktop into the router which in turn is wired to the BT socket.
You are on landline and not Cable yes?

If on landline then it comes down to how far away from the exchange you are no matter what MBPS they promise you.

EDIT:
Ok so your running all the way downstairs on RJ11 cable which is ****. get a good long length of RJ45 and put the router downstairs.

JUanToomany

FPCH Member
Thats the kind of common speak I need haha. Ok so I buy some RJ45 cable,take the router downstairs and connect the other end upstairs to.........

JUanToomany

FPCH Member
I knew somehow I was gonna get sarcasm there. So just to confirm that the RJ45 cable should have a jack on either end? Sorry bout being such a pc bozo

W

Wolfeymole

Sorry Juan I was just joking please forgive me.
Yes make sure that both ends of the cable are exactly like the shorter one now.
You may have to get one made specially Juan so there may be extra expense.
Is it possible for you to take the whole lot downstairs to test the speed when sat only a short distance away from the socket?

mike

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Pc Guru
As Wolfey said, you should keep the RJ11 cable as short as possible. Taking the router down stairs and using a long RJ45 cable will be the best option.

A long RJ11 cable is likely to cause a degradation in you connection.

You can get a long RJ45 cable relativity cheap. Have a look here.