• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

S-S-Stuttering

Jase

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
Following many upgrades I am still suffering from stuttering during games. It always seems worse at the start of a game. It even happens during the Football Manager match highlights.
My specs are:
ASUS A8N-VM motherboard (original)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (upgraded)
ATi Radeon HD3850 (upgraded)
2GB Ram (4x512) (upgraded – different manufacturers)
EZCool 900 Tornado 700W PSU (upgraded).
SoundMax HD Audio (onboard sound)
80GB Hard Drive -55GB spare space (original)
Windows XP
I am 99% sure all my drivers are up to date. I defrag, run anti virus, spyware & adaware software regularly. I have ran the AMD optimizer. I love PC gaming but all these checks are becoming a bit frustrating considering I have a machine capable of playing the latest games
The stuttering was worse during Oblivion even though I had reduced the graphics settings. It happens in almost every game, even games from a few year back e.g Call of Duty 1&2.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi Jase

Do you have the latest version of DirectX installed?

Also does it stutter all the time or only sometimes during the game.

Make sure there is only a minimum number of programs running in the background.

It could also be software trying to update itself while your playing like your windows or anti-virus software.

Jase

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Everyhing is updated - Direct X, drivers etc.

The stuttering happens sometimes but was quite severe in Oblivion.

I update my AVG manually.

Although I have upgraded most components, Windows was installed with the PC when I bought it 3 year ago. I have attached DxDiag if that helps.

Attachments

W

Wolfeymole

Can you copy and paste the text file straight into the forum Jase please, you may have to use two replies to do it.

Jase

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
It is going to take 5 replies to post the DxDiag into the forum.:confused:

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
No glaring problems found with the log.

This can be a very difficult problem to find and correct. Have you looked in the Event Viewer to see if you can locate any issues?
Go to your Control Panel, Administrative Tools and run Event Viewer and look for RED issues in Applications and System.

Your computer could be infected with Malware as well. Not saying that it is but in order to isolate and ensure that is NOT the cause you should run this routine to ensure your system is clean.

• Malware is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent.
    It is a combination of the words malicious and software.
    The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code.

• Required Cleanup Steps
    1. Disable the Spybot Search & Destroy TEA TIMER if enabled
    2. Run a Temporary file and cache cleaner (ATF)
    3. Run 2 Anti-Malware scanners
    4. Run an Online Anti-Virus / Anti-Malware Scanner
    5. Clear out old System Restore points
    6. If continued Malware type activity is present you may be asked to post a TrendMicro™ HijackThis™ Log file

The reason to run multiple scanners is to ensure that no single scanner is missing something.
The time it takes will vary depending on your system and your internet connection speed.
Typically the SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes scanners will take between 10 to 90 minutes.
The ESET online scan should take between 1 to 3 hours.
In most cases, these scans will suffice to clean and disinfect your computer.
Heavily infected systems or slower PCs can take much longer to scan and clean.

For best results print the following instructions and bookmark this Web page
To keep this guide printer-friendly, use your cursor to highlight the contents below.
From your browser select File - Print and in the printer dialog box under "Print range"
click the Selection choice to print out these instructions for removal of malware.​

__________________________________________________​

STEP 1

• Disable Spybot Search & Destroys' TEA TIMER: (if installed)
    1. Run Spybot-S&D in Advanced Mode.
    2. If it is not already set to do this Go to the Mode menu select "Advanced Mode"
    3. On the left hand side, Click on Tools
    4. Then click on the Resident Icon in the List
    5. Uncheck "Resident TeaTimer" and OK any prompts.
    6. Restart your computer.

STEP 2
  • Follow these instructions carefully.
  • Download ATF-Cleaner from Snapfiles.com to remove un-needed temporary files from your computer that may contain malware.
  • You can also download it from Majorgeeks.com
  • When you run ATF-Cleaner, check the items as shown below for Main.
  • For FireFox, be sure to click on the FireFox tab on top and check the items as shown below for FireFox
  • NOTE: If you don't have FireFox or Opera installed then they will be grayed out and can be ignored
  • Then click on "Empty Selected".

STEP 3
  • Install and run the free version (not the Professional version) of SUPERAntiSpyware from SUPERAntiSpyware.com
    • Accept any prompts to allow SUPERAntiSpyware to install the latest rules and infection definition files.
    • You do not have to send them your e-mail address, just click next.
    • You can leave the automated check for updates on.
    • You can uncheck "Send a diagnostic report to research center" if you don't want to send the information.
    • DO NOT allow SUPERAntiSpyware to protect your Home Page settings.
    • On the Top Left select the Scan your computer button.
    • Make sure there is a CHECK MARK on all Fixed Drives.
    • Click "Perform a Complete Scan". Click "Next" to Repair issues found and reboot the computer when prompted to do so.

STEP 4
  • Install and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Malwarebytes - (direct download)
    • Accept all defaults for the installer
    • Allow the program to update the definitions
    • Click on the Quick Scan and click Next.
    • If any items are found allow it to clean them and then Reboot your computer.

STEP 5
  • Run an online scan with ESET from Free Virus Scan: Use ESET's Online Antivirus Scanner
    • You must use Internet Explorer for this online scan. FireFox, Opera, etc will not work for this scan.
    • Accept the terms and click "Start".
    • Once the scanner is ready, check "Remove found threats" AND "Scan unwanted applications".
    • Click "Start" to begin the scan.
    • When completed restart your computer

Make sure your internet firewall security is enabled, and then please return to Free PC Help and tell us how the computer seems to be operating.
At that time, you will receive instructions to assist you in removing malicious programs from your Add/Remove program list if warranted.

If required this is the download link for TrendMicro™ HijackThis™
Unless instructed to by the Technician helping you then do not download this tool.

Once you and the Technician agree that your system appears to be clean then you should delete all your System Restore points and recreate a new one.
Please follow the instructions here
How to turn off and turn on System Restore in Windows XP
How to turn off and turn on System Restore in Windows Vista

Jase

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
I have completed steps 1 to 5 and I will post back once I have played a game to judge eprformance. For info, from all scans, a total of 5 items were removed. Do you recommend I keep all the scan software installed for future scanning?

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi i have SAS and MB installed on my pc for backup scanners, but one should be fine just to keep as a back up. You still need an Anti-Virus with full time gaurd.

The best ones are NOD32 and Bitdefender, but these are paid Anti-Virus Software.

W

Wolfeymole

As you indicated Jase the scans did find malware and cleared them.

Without doubt continue using them on a regular basis but may I ask that you provide us with a HiJack This log as a final measure to make sure your system is thoroughly clean.

Jase

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Only played Call of Duty 1. There was stuttering at the beginning of the game for a few seconds but nothing after that. I think that happens on a lot of games.
I have provided CPU-Z details of my Ram sticks if this is of any help as I think the Corsair one is a bit of an odd one out in terms of timing.
Slot 1 - 512MB PC3200 (200MHZ). There are 3 freq in the Timings Table 133, 166 & 200 - Micron Technology
Slot 2 - 512MB PC3200 (200MHZ). There are 2 freq in the Timings Table 166 & 200 - Corsair
Slot 3 - 512MB PC3200 (200MHZ). There are 3 freq in the Timings Table 133, 166 & 200 - Kingston
Slot 4 - 512MB PC3200 (200MHZ). There are 3 freq in the Timings Table 133, 166 & 200 - Kingston

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Now that you've cleaned up your system maybe do a DEFRAG

Click on START- RUN and type in DFRG.MSC and press the Enter Key. Then Analyze and Defrag all of your drives.

For more details on RAM please take a look here DDR2 SDRAM - Wikipedia

I would recommend all the same brand, and speed and 2 single 1GB modules as apposed to 4 of the 512 and different speeds and MFG.
If one chip is slower or problematic then the other chips will reduce down to it's level as a rule of thumb.

However I doubt that the RAM is your issue.

Maybe also look at running this utility as well StartUpLite
StartUpLite is a lightweight application that will allow you to speed up your system startup. It provides a safe and efficient way to disable or remove unnecessary startup entries from your computer.

Jase

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
hijackthis file
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 08:37:28, on 15/05/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\windows\System32\smss.exe
C:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\windows\system32\services.exe
C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe
C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
C:\windows\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Mouse Driver\KMWDSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\TalkTalk\bin\sprtsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Supportsoft\bin\tgsrvc.exe
C:\windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Mouse Driver\StartAutorun.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
C:\Program Files\DNA\btdna.exe
C:\Program Files\Mouse Driver\KMConfig.exe
C:\Program Files\Mouse Driver\KMProcess.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = Live Search
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = Google
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = MSN.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = Live Search
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = Live Search
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = MSN.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker BHO - {F0D4B231-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA} - C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarmSB\bar\1.bin\SPYBLOCK.DLL (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker - {F0D4B239-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA} - C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarmSB\bar\1.bin\SPYBLOCK.DLL (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KMCONFIG] C:\Program Files\Mouse Driver\StartAutorun.exe KMConfig.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] C:\Program Files\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent DNA] "C:\Program Files\DNA\btdna.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\windows\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\windows\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0D41B8C5-2599-4893-8183-00195EC8D5F9} (asusTek_sysctrl Class) - http://support.asus.com/common/asusTek_sys_ctrl.cab
O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/cabs/FPDC_2.3.6.108.cab
O16 - DPF: {56762DEC-6B0D-4AB4-A8AD-989993B5D08B} - http://www.eset.eu/buxus/docs/OnlineScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {67A5F8DC-1A4B-4D66-9F24-A704AD929EEE} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload/srl/2.0.0.1/sysreqlab2.cab
O16 - DPF: {67DABFBF-D0AB-41FA-9C46-CC0F21721616} (DivXBrowserPlugin Object) - http://download.divx.com/player/DivXBrowserPlugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/mic...ls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1189771571781
O16 - DPF: {74DBCB52-F298-4110-951D-AD2FF67BC8AB} (NVIDIA Smart Scan) - http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload/nforce/NvidiaSmartScan.cab
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) - http://javadl-esd.sun.com/update/1.6.0/jinstall-6u5-windows-i586-jc.cab
O16 - DPF: {A90A5822-F108-45AD-8482-9BC8B12DD539} (Crucial cpcScan) - http://crucial.com/controls/cpcScanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {E8F628B5-259A-4734-97EE-BA914D7BE941} (Driver Agent ActiveX Control) - http://plugin.driveragent.com/files/driveragent.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Keyboard And Mouse Communication Service (KMWDSERVICE) - UASSOFT.COM - C:\Program Files\Mouse Driver\KMWDSrv.exe
O23 - Service: SiSoftware Database Agent Service (SandraDataSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite XI\Win32\RpcDataSrv.exe
O23 - Service: SiSoftware Sandra Agent Service (SandraTheSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite XI\RpcSandraSrv.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (TalkTalk) (sprtsvc_TalkTalk) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\TalkTalk\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft RemoteAssist - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Supportsoft\bin\ssrc.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Repair Service (TalkTalk) (tgsrvc_TalkTalk) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Supportsoft\bin\tgsrvc.exe

Jase

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Thread disappeared

The stuttering thread I started has disappeared.:confused:

Loplop

FPCH Member
When i used to have stuttering problems, i cleaned out the computer case, defraged, disk cleanup'd and before i started a game, i restarted explorer.exe.