• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

safe mode

brunoalan

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
Just a simple question for you experts! How do I start my pc in safe mode I am running windows xp? I need to remove some programmes that will not delete when fully loaded, many thanks

TechAdvance

FPCH Member
when your PC starts press F8 you might need to press it a few times
You will be given a screen with some options pick safe mode without networking

Are you using add/remove to get rid of these programs?
Some details on the programs would be helpful for future problems

thanks

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
TechAdvance is right. What program you are trying to remove is important. Safe Mode may not be enough.

Is the program installed on all user accounts?
Is the program running at start up?
Is the program bundled with another program?
What program?

A little more info can help. No judgement here on what you might have. Things just happen sometimes.

Often times just stopping the program from from running before removing it will work. Or try removing the source program first if it is bundled. Check other User Accounts too.

As stated above it would be helpful if we knew what program you were talking about. I love to get rid of nasties. It's my specialty and my passion.

If I'm off base I'm sorry but I would still like to help if I can;

RandyL

brunoalan

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
I am trying to remove a programme called ashampoo winoptimizer, thanks for your help lads, i will try in safe mode

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
win optimizer.
remove it from add and remove.
also when it says removed, delete the folder in c:\programme files.
also maybe an idea to check in msconfig.start>run type in msconfig
on the startup tab remove any relation to the prog,then click services, tick hide all microsoft services, remove any relation in there to.
regards
danzil...
let me know if ou need any other help

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Now we know what it is. The point being you may need to stop all instances of it running before attempting an uninstall. Check into the options of the program and follow danzils advice too. This shouldn't be a real problem.

Good luck;
RandyL