• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Sata hdd

Daveydub

FPCH Member
Hi!
I have a new pc, my first sata hdd. I do not intend to use raid so I understood that I could leave this in bios as Sata controller - IDE in the Southbridge Via VT8237S config. I can install Win2k without a hitch. Updates to windows & explorer start ok but as the updates download and require re-start, subsequent downloads get more problematic and eventually stop altogether. By this pont I can be receiving error messages (svchost.exe), missing icons or labels in control panel, external usb drive ceases to work, all sysem tools have dissapeared etc.
I have tried as above but using F6 sata setup disk.
I have tried as above using bios sata controller set to Raid and using F6 sata disk.
I have tried many things, they all lead to a progressively stupid white box.
The hard drive shows in the start up window and boots in to windows as it should with each of these choices.
All of the above attempts lead to a variation on this theme so I have progressively stopped loading any programs apart from windows & IE6. If I was more certain about the proper choice out of the three options above (or a 4th option that I haven't thought of) then I could cut the number of re-installs by a third and be more precise with detailing the problem.
I have downloaded the latest sata drivers from via.
I have run memtest 86 for 28 passes
I have run a Hitachi drive test, not sure what the results actually meant but none of it seemed to indicate a problem.
I have formatted and re-installed another machine to confirm my win cd ok.

Mobo Asus P5VD2-M SE
Hitachi 160gb sata hdd
win 2000 pro

Thanks for any advice, been installing/ree-installing for 2 weeks now and I think I may be going slightly mad.
Cheers
Dave

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hmmm.

The choice you make for installing the Sata driver doesn't make a difference. Do whatever is easiest.

Does Device Manager show all devices installed?

Are you installing some sort of internet security right after the install and before you go online?

Was there any indication of trouble before you started to update 2000?

Daveydub

FPCH Member
Hi Seth and thanks,

Easiest is to leave bios to either raid or ide probably ide as I dont want to use raid.
Ignore the F6 boot thing and install win.

On first install, I get no problems with the install, everything appears normal on 1st run. Install ethernet adapter driver & via chipset driver from mobo cd. Log on to internet. No (Grisoft AVG) security at this point. All in control panel looks fine no hazard signs in devices, usb drive detected and accessible. Start doing windows updates, do SP4 and IE6 from a cd that I have managed to save these to., log on to update site, get couple of little updates to reboot, get more updates but may have to clear history/files/temp to enable. As I say I have tried from all angles so many times now that to be more precise about where it starts to go wrong from this point I will start a fresh install with this as a start point. In fact I will also get all my updates from the site although I did test my update disk on the other machine. I will get back tomorrow.
Cheers
Dave

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Good call on SP4 and IE6 from the site and not the cd.

I would stop at that point and test the system for a few days.

Daveydub

FPCH Member
Cheers Seth,
Given that I will just have internet access and windows, any tips to make my testing more agressive? ie open loads of web pages and leave them all open, focus on pages with audiovideo in etc. or am I condemned to 2 days of pinball.

Cheers
Dave

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Well 2 days of Pinball is surely much sweeter than two weeks of install woes :)

Play some cd's and DVD's too.

Oh I almost forgot: Install Java and Flash as well.

Daveydub

FPCH Member
Hi!
Ok , the way it was : Southbridge controller set to Sata - raid
F6 was pushed and driver disk entered during win2k install.
Control panel shows:
Scsi & Raid controllers: Via raid controller 7372
Disk Drives - Hitachi SCSI disk device
No errors show in device manager, can access disk drive & usb disk drive
Dr Watson No errors.

Re-boot and change Southbridge controller to Sata - IDE
Boot from cd & fresh install of windows, delete previous installation ignore F6 option.
On re-boot, blue screen - invalid boot device.

Repeat boot from cd, fresh install, delete previous. This time installs ok and boots in to windows.
Install chipset, video and network adapter driver from motherboard cd.
Control panel shows:
problem pci device & usb controller.
IDE & ATAPI controllers:
2 x primary ide controller
2 x secondary controller
1 x standard dual channel pci - ide controller 0571
USB hard drive is accessible
No errors in Dr Watson.

Connect to internet, download Win2k SP4 Express install, run install program.
Re- boot required, on re-start, windows has finished installing devices, re-start now.
Re- start, control panel still shows problem PCI Device & USB controller.
Install audio driver and re-start.
Only problem now is usb controller.
Uninstall USB controller and re-boot, windows detects & installs USB root hub.
No problems left in control panel. (I think that by plugging my USB hard drive in at the early stage of this i prevented the usb from sorting itself out as I have not had to do this uninstall on previous attempts).
Start, Windows update, requires new windows update software, agree, downloads & installs update.
Suggests update to IE6, search to IE6 SP1 on ms site and download & install & re-boot.
Start, Windows update, choose Express, Windows update fails with error no. 0xC80003FA.
Tools, Internet Options, Delete cookies, files & history.
Click windows updates home, choose express, no activity.
Repeat, successful this time, to use this version of windows update you will need to upgrade some of its components.
Downloads & Installs Updates for BITS and Ms Windows Installer.
Installation complete, re-start now.
Start, Windows update, choose Express, Windows update fails with error no. 0xC80003FA.
Tools, Internet Options, Delete cookies, files & history.
Click windows updates home, choose express, no activity.
Repeat, successful this time, 62 updates found (69 mb), choose to install, install complete, restart now.
Start, Windows update, IE has encounterd problems and needs to close.
Tools, Internet Options, Delete cookies, files & history
Re-boot, stiil produce same error with windows update, can go on internet ok.
Everything else appears normal.
Attempt to install Windows Mediaplayer 9 (from usb hard drive, used to install on another machine 2 days ago) produced message Extracting file failed - low memory or corrupted cabinet file. Copied mpsetup.exe from usb drive to desktop, same result. Took usb hd to another machine and copied mpsetup exe to cd. Install from cd starts process and ends with setup mpexe has generated errors. Log on to internet and download and run mplayer9.exe produces same failure.
Log on to BBC website and follow link to adobe/ download flashplayer results in internetexplorer needs to be closed message.
Dr. Watson now reports 4 errors
Device manager etc all look ok
At this point I wondered if I could load any software at all so I installed Office 2003 without a hitch and can open & use a word document.
I can also play pinball
Cheers
Dave

Daveydub

FPCH Member
Hi!
Well so many errors popping up and not possible to install media player or run any more updates.
looking through bios, I am given the choice to disable or enable the maximum cpuid value limit. The default is disable but should be enabled for legacy os's. I believe that win2k can accept disabled but should also work as enabled though maybe losing some performance. I therefore set this to enabled, format hdd, re-install win2k, do sp4 and update rollup from cd and re-boot. I now boot in to windows and machine halts when almost loaded with 2 error messages.
The Logon user interface dll msgina.dll failed to load
The procedure entry point SHIsLoow memory machine could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll.
My only choice from here is to re- boot back to same error messages.
Trying safe mode just slows down my arrival at the same place.
I will try again with this bios mod changed back but i think that it should have been ok as it is.
Will try a repair option with boot from cd and see where that gets me to but I suppose if this remains consistent, on the bright side, it does appear to be failing earlier in the process therefore the day when I put it back in its box and return it may be getting closer.
To the layman such as myself this behaves like bad memory, stuff goes in to memory and doesn't come back out, however as I said I ran memtest86 for 24 hours with no reported errors.
Cheers
Dave

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
A memory test is a waste of time for a user such as yourself. In addition, ram testers may show that ram is ok even when it's not. But if the test fails, then the ram is definitely bad.

By the far the most efficient and quickest way to test the ram, is try a different stick, or one at a time if you have more than one.

BTW-Think Event Viewer might give some clues?

Daveydub

FPCH Member
Hi
Yes it would have simplified things if memory test had showed a problem, I take on board that the fact that it did not is inconclusive.
Repair from cd option did not work so I am installing windows again and will try to explore event viewer and see what I can learn. What I am going for this time is to leave the (damaged) windows install intact and install to a new folder. I may then be able to look at the broken one and learn something?
My supplier tells me that I must get Vista although my computery mates all tell me that win2k is as good as it gets untill i move to Linux.
I think that all modern pcs should be able to run dos/win95/win98 etc. as well as Vista. Footie on the radio and helping hands only a phone line away so life could be worse
Cheers
Dave

Daveydub

FPCH Member
Sorry forgot to say:
Dont have any other compatible memory. If I was sure that it would cure the problem i would get my order straight in to Crucial ( I was planning to upgrade the memory anyway). My other 2 pcs have 184 pin & this one has 240 pin so i can't swap them over.
BTW fresh install of windows, at point where it usually re-boots and detects (I think) network settings etc., asked for emergency repair disk (which i did not have), esc. got me back to where 'windows will try to repair' which it did indeed so fresh install of windows is up and running and I will get back and have a look at it. Still hopeful that it does seem to be getting worse.
Cheers
Dave

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Another option may be to install a different operating system to determine once and for all if this is a hardware or software problem.

Something else to consider, is just about any flaky component can cause irregularities in the hard drives read and write abilities which causes file corruption. Perhaps even the hd itself is heading south.

Daveydub

FPCH Member
Hi!
Had a look in event viewer/application.
There are 2 entries re ISAKMP Oakley re an invalid encryption algorithm described as "generally benign".
Msinstaller entry - Webfldrs Install operation completed successfully.
Winlogon - Checking hdd
Cleaning up 17 unused index entries
Cleaning up 17 unused index entries
Cleaning up 17 unused security descriptions. It then goes on to list no of files etc. including 0 bytes in bad sectors.
I do have a copy of xp here so I can give that a shot, although it is registered elsewhere I dont think that using it for test purposes is too naughty.
Cheers
Dave

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
I wouldn't worry about installing XP for test purposes.

Daveydub

FPCH Member
Hi!
Well, xp installed ok & then I downloaded and installed media player and Cyberlink powerdvd.
This all seemed to go ok and I ran a dvd through a couple of times, bit jerky & no sound but I think only because I didn't install the chipset drivers. Event viewer showed one problem (related to googledlg.exe) which I think was related to a failed attempt to download a codec. The timestamp was outside of the dvd run time.
I have downloaded sp2 for xp so will install this and sort out the sound and see if this all goes ok. I can then install and update a few programs, This should probably prove my hardware one way or the other.
However:
I came across this bit of info which may be relevant
48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098

Important Although support for 48-bit LBA is included in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and later, it is still necessary to create the registry change that is described in the "Resolution" section of this article.

I had not found this info before now and perhaps it could explain everything although I think I would still be wise to proceed with the xp test. It is not the first time that I have thought that the solution was to hand only to be disappointed
Cheers
Dave

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Definetely proceed with the XP test.

RE your link,

I fail to see how hd size recognition would cause data corruption.

Daveydub

FPCH Member
Hi!
I agree but the size of mine is recognised by windows and at boot. (actually I should double-check on that because I think I read somewhere that windows may mislead you here) but the following line from that link made me hopeful, it's good to be hopeful now & then, I know it may not last.
Operating systems that do not have 48-bit LBA support enabled by default (such as Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), or Windows 2000) that are installed on a partition that spans beyond the 28-bit LBA boundary (137GB) will experience data corruption or data loss.

Cheers
Dave

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Operating systems that do not have 48-bit LBA support enabled by default (such as Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), or Windows 2000) that are installed on a partition that spans beyond the 28-bit LBA boundary (137GB) will experience data corruption or data loss.

Fascinating.

How's XP working out?

Daveydub

FPCH Member
Sorry to hear that my optimism is misplaced, it was an elegant solution in that it laid the blame at my door which is where it may well belong.
Download xp sp2 to other pc, copy to usb hd and attempt install. reports file corrupted.
Repeat download to target pc desktop, install from there, file corrupted.

I should probably now check both downloads on another pc to see if the files are corrupt.
More soon
Dave