• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

SATA Problem

Doris

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
`ello. Doris here. Is it possible to set up a sata HDD as the Primary Master Boot Drive?

If so how?

My pc`s spec is as follows. Motherboard, Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4(rev 2.0). CPU, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+.

RAM, 4gb OCZ pc6400.

GPU,NVidia 8800gt 512 mb x2 SLI.

1x 80gb IDE HDD,(Which i wish to remove.).
1x 160gb SATA HDD.
1x 320gb SATA HDD.

The 80gb ide drive is listed as the Primary Master, this has an old copy of xp pro on it. The 160gb sata drive has xp home installed and i can chose to boot from either OS.

My problem is, I wish to remove the ide drive and just use the two sata drives, but the pc refuses to boot and i get the error message, NTLDR is missing. Press ctrl-alt-del to restart. HELP PLEASE!:(

W

Wolfeymole

Just which drive are you trying to boot from?

Primary and Secondary Master/Slave settings do not apply to SATA drives as they do not have jumpers.

Please tell us exactly how you installed the operating systems that you have now.

Doris

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
SATA Problems (cont)

`ello again.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Now then, please bear with me, this could be a bit long winded. What i am trying to do is boot from the 160gb sata drive. This drive has Windows XP Home installed.
This is not a problem with my 80gb ide drive connected. The ide drive has XP Pro installed. With this configuration i can boot from either OS from the dual boot screen.
However, if i disconnect the ide drive the computer will not boot. and i get the error message; NTLDR is missing, Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart.
Let me explain. The reason i wish to remove the ide drive is that my case only has space for two hard drives, and i want to install a 320gb sata drive, sata being faster, which makes for better gaming, and use this drive in conjunction with the 160gb drive so that i`ve got lots of space.
I also want to install a dvd drive on the ide channel because the sata dvdrw i have installed at the moment is a bit slow.
I hope this makes sense and makes things a bit clearer. Cheers. Tony.

W

Wolfeymole

Well this is a bit weird Tony mate, are you using some kind of boot manager tool?

The only way normally to boot when using an IDE drive and a SATA drive would be to physically change the boot location in the bios.

How you explain it to me says that both operating systems are on one drive, the IDE, either that or the XP Home MBR on the 160GB SATA is mangled for you to receive an NT Loader error message.

Doris

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
SATA Problems (cont) again.

Me again.
I dont have a Boot Manager installed,(as far as i know). The 80gb ide drive is my C drive and the drive i originally bought and installed when i built the pc. I installed Windows XP Pofessional and all was well until i ran out of space. I bought and installed the 160gb sata drive, formatted it as drive D and installed Windows XP Home. So the two operating systems are on two physically seperate drives.
When i boot up the pc, after the post screen, i get a screen asking which OS i want to start up with. Windows XP home starts by default unless i select XP Pro within 30 seconds. Everything works fine.
Now i have decided i need more space, and to this end i have bought a 320gb sata drive. Unfortunately i had to remove the 80gb ide drive to make room for the new one. Thats when the trouble started.
I installed the 320gb sata drive and tried to boot up, no joy. I just get the error message i mentioned before. Beats me. Tony.

W

Wolfeymole

This not logical.

Why did you install XP Home to a new drive if all you wanted was more space?

Something is not quite right here because what you describe should not be happening.

Please post a screenshot of what it says in Disk Management.

Tootech

FPCH Member
Hi Doris,

There's a file called boot.ini that holds the boot drive information. There will be one on your C: drive and one on your D: drive.

Please can you look for them both and post the contents here.

They are located directly in C:\

If you cannot find them, do a file search, that will find them.

Boot.ini is a really important file, so please take care, it will open in Notepad, copy the contents here.

DO NOT change or save boot.ini when you have finished. Just close it, if Windows asks you to save changes, click NO

As an example, mine looks like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect