• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

screen goes to standby after boot up

mike kk

FPCH New Member
ok hi any help will be appreciated

the problem started when i moved my mouse and the screen wouldn't come back on from powersave, the LED stayed orange and it came up with no signal on my monitor. after reseting the pc it got up to 'windox xp with black screen with the progress bar loading then the screen showed the no signal, with an orange LED

i have tried the monitor and cable as a secondary screen on my laptop and it works and my graphics card is only like 3-4months old

spec:

2 maxtor 80GB hard drives
1GB RAM
512mb geforce gt5600 (model no. from memory)
intel 3.0ghz processor
acer 19" monitor

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Try starting in Safe Mode. This is done by tapping the F8 key when starting your computer. You'll be presented with a menu, Choose Safe Mode, See how it goes.

mike kk

FPCH New Member
when i pressed F8 no menu came up also there wasn't a prompt for it on screen either like there is to enter bios

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
There won't be a prompt for the F8 key - that's normal.

You would start tapping the F8 key immediately after it goes thru the BIOS check and definitely before Windows starts. The F8 Safe Mode is part of Windows, not the BIOS. Windows needs to see that key when Windows starts.