• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Security aimed at popups?

Quafflin

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
I have been having some problems with pop-ups lately that I have not had in the past. Furthermore they are no longer just coming when I have firefox open but also at very inconvenient times, like playing games. It pops up and takes me out of the game back the to desktop only for the pop-up to last no longer then a second before it disappears. I am running a variety of spyware programs that I use often (Windows defender, Ad aware, spybot, McAfee, as well as malwarebytes which i downloaded today). None of these programs are able to remove the annoying little pop-up that every once in awhile comes up and disappears before I can even see what it is.

Anyways, I was just wondering if there were any programs, that are specifically designed to track and remove programs that cause these types of popups.

thanks for any help

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Ad-aware, and Spybot are not the products they once were.

I would take a look at downloading and running SUPERAntispyware www.superantispyware.com

Then you could also take a look at SUPERAdBlocker from the makers of SUPERAntispyware SUPERAdBlocker

Try both of those and let us know how it goes.

If you're using FireFox as your default browser then you can also take a look at this great little plugin.

NoScript NoScript Home Page
The NoScript Firefox extension provides extra protection for Firefox, Flock, Seamonkey and others mozilla-based browsers: this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, Java, Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choice (e.g. your online bank), and provides the most powerful Anti-XSS protection available in a browser.
NoScript's unique whitelist based pre-emptive script blocking approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even not known yet!) with no loss of functionality...
You can enable JavaScript, Java and plugin execution for sites you trust with a simple left-click on the NoScript status bar icon (look at the picture), or using the contextual menu, for easier operation in popup statusbar-less windows.
Watch the "Using NoScript" video kindly contributed by John Wilkerson.