• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Sending email

nimbers

FPCH Member
Hi i'm having problem sending emails of my outlook express, I've recently had to change my internet provider from ntl(virgin) to sky. I haven't changed any of the settings on my outlook and yet still cant send any emails, but i'm ok receiving them on there from my ntl account, This is probably just a little setting or something that i have to change but i haven't got a clue as to what it could be any help welcome

Thanks in advance

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Nimbers

Welcome to Free PC Help

You may have to make a new account and input your Sky username and password provided by them for email.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
NP.

I was just looking for the server names when I stumbled across the whole tut :)

nimbers

FPCH Member
thanks but Thats not what i ment, i ment i still want to keep my ntl email but for some reason i'm getting the following error anyone know what this means

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.com', Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 aamtaout02-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from [90.210.132.82]', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi nimbers;
Do you still have a paid account with ntl (virgin)? If not then that could be the reason.

RandyL

W

Wolfeymole

That is exactly the reason Randy.
Now you have left Virgin nimbers you can't still continue to use their email.

nimbers

FPCH Member
Hi nimbers;
Do you still have a paid account with ntl (virgin)? If not then that could be the reason.

RandyL
kinda of still got the original account that works fine but not at this house. You see i was put on my mams account as another identity which is the ntl email i use but for some reason now i've moved i cant send from that address anymore but yet i still recieve mail to that addy. Also i can send if i use Virgin site so thats why i ***ume its just a general setting fault? on my outgoing mail should i use the smtp.tools.sky.com or the smtp.ntlworld.account and should this collate with my main user on outlook which is now on sky??

W

Wolfeymole

You are probably getting them ok because whoever is sending is using the email server that they subscribe to.
Example:
Joe Bloggs who uses hotmail can send to you because hotmail is paying for it so to speak.
The Sky details should be in the Outlook settings.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi again;
I'm not familiar with your old or new provider so I'll venture some possibilities without real knowledge.

Some providers will allow or offer to get your emails for a limited time from your previous ISP. It's called email forwarding. They do this to get you to switch over in hopes of getting your long term business. It makes your transition easier until you notify everyone of the change of address.

As to whether it works with Outlook Express (Please note that you should always specify in every post whether it is Outlook or Outlook Express) or just web mail is up to the Internet Service Provider.

As for myself I've never seen an instance where you could send mail through a client like Outlook Express using a paid ISP once you cancelled your account.

If they allowed that these days it would open up endless spamming possibilities. For instance I could spam for months after only paying for one month. Email Clients also make it easier to send multiple mails.

Years ago you could send and recieve mail from a free hotmail or yahoo account through a client like OE or Outlook but not any more unless you pay.

The bottom line is you probably never will be able to send mail via OE through a ISP when you don't pay them any more. If you can via web mail it will most likely be temporary.

If you can receive mail via web or a client like OE from a terminated ISP it is most likely tempeorary too.

If you want to send and get email on an ongoing basis from your terminated ISP account check to see if they offer that service. It will not be free. At least not through a client like OE or Outlook.

Different terms apply to different ISP's. MSN or AOL comes to mind.

nimbers

FPCH Member
cheers

thanks a lot all this cleared up some of what of the mistakes i was making, finally got it working, i've set up a forward on from my mams ntl account and got them diverted to my sky account. This was probably the best bet. My ntl account isn't cancelled as such as i was registered a 3rd party user etc so as long as the initial account is getting paid at my mams then my account with them should be ok to transfer email i hope.