• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

setting up the internet on my laptop

gouranga

FPCH New Member
hi i have a netgear wireless router, the one aol ship out for free, and a belkin wireless adapter on my pc. they are working absolutly fine and dandy. now, i was given an old ish laptop by my sister, its about 4 years old, running XP SP2. i have installed AOL on it but it wont connect to the net. i bought a belkin wireless adapter for this laptop, not the same as the one in my pc as this one is USB, and it cannot find the router using the AOL software. however it can using the windows software, so i enter my security password and it connects to the wireless network fine but when i try signing into AOL it says "DNS server not found". i have tried directly connecting it to my router through a cable and the ethernet port, and it just says the message "DNS server not found". when i try connecting the laptop to the router through the network cable, using the aol software it doesnt detect the router. whats going on?!

Jamey

FPCH Member
Right, so you have a Netgear router and a Belkin WiFi PCI card? You bought a Belkin Wifi USB adapter for an old laptop. I don't think you should install the AOL software on the laptop. I might be wrong here but often AOL software just causes more troubles. So I'd try uninstalling it from the laptop.

So it's good that it connects to the wireless network, that's 90% of the way there. DNS is basically how your computer finds out that google.com points to a computer named 66.123.54.199, which is an IP address, something humans rarely deal with. So basically, without DNS you can't view a website unless you know the actual low-level IP address.

When you connect to the network, your computer is ***igned an IP address and given the addresses of the DNS servers. If you don't get the DNS servers from your router, your computer doesn't know how to translate google.com into something that it understands. So that's why you're getting that dreaded error.

Once you're connected to the network on the laptop, click Start and then Run. Type cmd and click OK. In the command prompt, type ipconfig and press Enter. You should be able to see what IP address the laptop has, along with the gateway address (this is your router) and there will be a section on DNS servers. Post back here what is listed under DNS servers. If it is nothing, there's our problem.

gouranga

FPCH New Member
ok, uninstalled AOL - tried connecting through internet explorer and it says there is no connection to the net, and done the ipconfig. it now says....
ethernet adapter local area connection:
media state..........: media disconnected

ethernet adapter wireless network connection:
connection-specific dns .:
autoconfiguration IP address . . .: 169.254.94.xxx *
subnet mask .............: 255.255.0.0
default gateway...........:

*(doesnt really say xxx but i dont knw if its safe to put the full thing)

does this help?

Jamey

FPCH Member
Your adapter is not connecting to your wireless network. An address of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx is an indication that Windows' DHCP service failed to get an IP address. DHCP is the capability of your router to automatically hand out IP addresses and so on. It should be an address like 192.168.xxx.xxx.

With Windows' own wireless configuration applet, does it indicate that the wireless network is connected? What is the signal strength like? Does Windows think that it is an encrypted network?

Which version of Windows XP are you running? As in, have you installed any service packs? To find out what version is installed, right-click My Computer and select Properties. It will be displayed in the top right of that first tab.

Perhaps try and disable any encryption for your wireless network temporarily. Windows them might be able to connect, although you will have to confirm that you want to connect to an insecure network.