• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Severe internet lag.

ShineSyndrome

FPCH New Member
I am using a wired netgear 4 way router which runs fine when attached to my laptop. However when it is connected to my PC the internet traffic slows to practically a stand still after 5 minutes. Programs that use the internet (Steam, messenger etc.) time out and refuse to connect and certain websites (such as facebook) won't load up.

My anti-virus shows that the system is clean, the other problem with my system is that it sometimes takes a very long time to shut down.

My ISP is Tiscali and I'm using a 1meg unlimited connection. For the virus scans I have used AVG and Ad-aware.

Any ideas?

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
try some of the following
download and run a complete scan (update 1st) using ewido get this from www.ewido.com
run an online antivirus scan.from. www.trendmicro.com
download and run ccleaner get that from www.ccleaner.com
then defragment your hard drive. thats in start>all programs>accessories>system tools>disk defragmenter

give them a go 1st
regards
danzil

If its a nasty,it could be using all your bandwith for bad things. If thats the case then you will see the lights on your router going nuts.

***uming its not a nasty, try changing your network card. I have seen some funny faults with failing network cards.

One test would be to let the network grind to a halt then try a tracert (google it) to a website that you cant connect to. At least that way you will know if the trafic is getting past the router.

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
does this happen only when the pc is on,if its off can you use othe rinternet equiptment ok.
i would scanboth pc;s using hijack this post both logs,also using the tools i posted previously.
there are way to manyh factors that can cause this issue
regards
danzilps try all post unles stated otherwise