• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Shortcut paths mysteriously altered

Russell_nash

FPCH New Member
I use windows xp to play some games, though my primary OS is GNU/Linux on a different hard drive. I loaded windows up to find that a number of desktop shortcuts no longer load what they are supposed to because the path has been altered. If you look in the game folder there has been a hidden folder called data/resource/ that contains copies of the executable files e.g. game.exe, launcher.exe. Most of the games will run if you click the exec from the game folder, but one of them was so messed up I just uninstalled it. The other thing is that the comp (on windows only) is running much slower than normal. The games that would load are barely playable. I did a thorough virus/spyware check and there was the usual few spyware incidences, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have changed nothing and on the previous occasion that I logged in a few days ago non of these problems were apparent. Any ideas? Thanks.

athlon 64 3000, 1.5 gigs ram, XP service pack 1, Leadtek 7600gt. 400 gig/250 gig hard drives

Jamey

FPCH Member
I don't know what caused those games to become corrupt. The simple solution is to simply reinstall each of them.

As for the sudden slow-down of your machine, I'd recommend you download the Windows Defender software. Install it on your computer and then restart it your computer in Safe Mode.

You then need to scan your computer with Windows Defender. I recommend you choose "Full Scan". Once the scan is finished, quarantine all of the items.

Also, here's a couple of useful links:

4 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer's Performance

Restore Your Computer's Performance with Windows XP

Russell_nash

FPCH New Member
I managed to find out what it is. There are some virus/spyware hidden files in the root directory of the C: drive, for or five of them (just look at anything that is hidden). As far as I can tell all it does is make a copy of all exec files, all of which are 15k in size, if I remember correctly, putting them in a hidden folder called data. I manually deleted them and altered the shortcuts back myself.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
This thread appears to be solved and is now closed

If you are the original poster of this thread and need it re-opened, then please PM (Private Message) an Administrator or Moderator