• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

slow loading windows xp

bc9737

FPCH Member
windows xp takes 3m 50s to load I have reformatted and re-installed windows painfully slow to load with just windows video & sound drivers installed any ideas please

W

Wolfeymole

Hello BC

Welcome to Free PC Help

How big is the CPU in that system and how much memory do you have?

Right clicking on My Computer and choosing Properties will provide that information.

Like so;

W

Wolfeymole

I run a Celeron 2.4mhz with 512mb of ram and including log in it takes 75 seconds to load from a cold boot.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Try it with an 800MHz Celeron that is running on a hard drive that is 8 years old and 128MB of RAM and let's see if you have those load times :D

Point is that even if you have newer faster hardware, if the hard drive itself is old and slow then it will be an important factor as well.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
bc9737 - is this something new or did it always take this long to start?

I've seen where a failing hard drive will cause a longer than normal startup time.

bc9737

FPCH Member
system details - fujitsu siemens scaleo T
pentium4 3.4GHz (2 CPUs) - 2048 MB ram - 230 GB HDD - GE Force 7600GS Video
Creative XFI Extreme Gamer sound - Windows XP Home Edition (5.1) SP2
Problem has got worse in last 2 months

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
With those specs, the system should boot and be ready to run in about 1 minute.

What security software are you running?

bc9737

FPCH Member
Norton supplied by BT. The problem is present with just Windows XP installed no security loaded. With certain game software running system seems slow to respond

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi bc;
Certain game software causes the machine to be slow to respond you say.
This is a clue. What is “certain games”? Details would help.

With your computer specs being relatively good I suspect too many startup items running.
Without knowing ALL of the software you have and what is running at startup it's hard to say but I think you might have too much running from the second you turn your computer on. Note that Norton is a resource hog.

Look at the notification area (lower right in the taskbar area). Anything there is loading at startup. See if you can safely disable any of those programs from starting at bootup from the program options.

Next look at msconfig to see what might be running that you don't need and to turn off the programs that can't be disabled via the program options itself.

If you suspect any particular software as being an issue let us know.
If you need more help with startup issues and msconfig let us know.

Also note that even though you have an antivirus program malware or programs bundled with malware can cause such issues.

Also as kelly stated a failing hard drive can cause slow bootups and a sluggish computer. You should run a hard drive test too.

RandyL

bc9737

FPCH Member
Admitted defeat and decided to reformat and reinstall windows problem sorted total time including boot-up 34secs
thanks for all suggestions

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi bc;
Sorry you had to start over. If you need any advice on how to keep it working good now or in the future let us know.

Startup items and malware are the usuall culprits.
RandyL

I've got a similar problem - XP taking 3+ minutes to boot on a 2.4Ghz Celeron w/ 512RAM. Startup loads sophos auto updater, zone alarm, and broadband connection software. So nothing much. The laptop was fitted with a new HD in October, but is otherwise 3 1/2 years old.

Oh, and I get a message saying my mousepad drivers are not synaptics approved, even though I've rolled them back to factory settings. Is there anyway to get rid of this?

W

Wolfeymole

Please make a new post with regard to your issue even though it is very similar to the ones posted.