• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Slow W7 on a Dell

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Another thing to try would be a 'clean boot' .....
Clean booting is a process which will disable non-windows services and start-up programs that may not be needed. If you clean boot your computer, you will usually have a reduced boot time and less load on the CPU.
Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the R key.
With the Run dialogue window open, type in msconfig and click the OK button.

You should now be looking at the System Configuration window. Click on the Services tab.

On the Services tab, you'll notice a long list of services available on your PC
First, check the box labeled Hide All Microsoft Services. <<<<<<<<<<< Important
Next, click the Disable All button

By performing these two steps, you have effectively turned off all services from third-party software developers.
All Microsoft services remain intact and will be ready to load when you reboot Windows

Finally, click the OK button and reboot the system

When you reboot, you may get messages that certain hardware and software are not unavailable. This is normal.

Just be sure to hide all Microsoft services before you use the Disable All button. Otherwise, you may encounter boot up errors when you reboot your PC.

Remember, running Windows like this is just temporary.

To restore Windows to a normal start up functionality:
  • Start the System Configuration Utility again (MSCONFIG)
  • On the "General" tab:
  • Click to select "Normal Startup"
  • Click "OK"
  • Choose the "Exit with Restart" option to restart your computer.

KenB

Administrator
Another thing to try would be a 'clean boot'
I was heading in that direction Starbuck - just wanted to know the results of Safe Mode.

Nice to know we are on the same wavelength :)

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks KenB. I clocked the opening times of three sites as well as W7 itself.

Opening W7 normal...58 seconds.....safe mode....27 seconds
site a......................"...........7 seconds..............".................7seconds
site b......................"...........7 seconds..............."................3 seconds
Opening google "..........63 seconds............".................35 seconds

There seems to be little difference between the sites but W7 and Google are wide apart.
Jim.

KenB

Administrator
Hi Jim
You would expect to see a difference in boot-up times - Safe Mode should be quicker.
35 seconds is still a long time to wait for Google to open.

Can you try some software - Word or one of the other programs you have installed.
This then excludes the internet and associated problems.
Safe Mode and normal boot up.
Try the software a few times to get an average.
Make a note of the times.

Pete suggested a clean boot a few posts back.
Give this a go and let us know how you get on.
Does this make any difference to the software / internet times ?

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks KenB, I'll try the opening of software on the computer first then the clean boot.
jim.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks for replying KenB. I have now done a clean boot. I got as far as the 'start up' and it went into a 'task not responding' thingy.
On re-start it did respond quicker (about 6 seconds) to google etc. The BBC News took ages. But was very quick there after.
Jim.

KenB

Administrator
Hi Jim

The clean boot will not cure your problem - it simply disguises it.
If things are "normal" after you have done this then it indicates that there is something running in the normal boot-up that has been stopped from running by doing a clean boot.

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim,

Ken is right ..... a clean boot doesn't cure the problem.
It just alerts you that something running at normal startup is causing the problem.
What you need to do now is go back into clean boot .... select just one of the apps that has been closed and re-enable it.
Then restart and see how things are.
If it still boots up quickly.... then re-enable one more app.
Keep doing this until you find the one that is causing the slowdown.
Once you know which app it is, disable this from the startup permanently.
It's a bit of a slow process, but it's the only way to see what is the problem app.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks for coming back to my problem.
The memsahib has been using it tonight because her Ipad needed charging. She said 'It goes just like it used to. If that continues I wont have to replace it.'
Tomorrow we have a trip to make but as soon as I can get to it I will go through the suggested procedure to locate the offending package.
Jim

Top Bottom