• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

[Solved] Bang and spark at the end of the kettle plug type lead

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
My order had not gone through. The page was unlike others I have ordered from and was larger than my screen, it had 'hidden' bits out side of my viewing area. I needed to diminish my viewing area.

I telephoned this morning and just now I got the confirmation it has gone through.

Today I will take the old mobo out of the case.
Jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I did not have the time required and gave in to a local computer engineer. He has taken it away to fix and have heard from him that the chip may also be suspect. I can see why - it was a big flash and bang.
I will report back when it is done and all werky werky.
Jim,

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
KenB said
"Is this the Central Processor Unit [ the main "chip" on the Motherboard ] ?

Yes it is. The fan was noisy as well so I suppose replacing that is a foregone conclusion. The cooling fins were also chock-a-block with dust. Yes it will cost - anything to get away from W10 :(.

We have daughter and SIL staying. He is redecorating the sitting room at the moment so SWMBO is in her element, I have resisted for years but he stood litle chance with the wiles of SWMBO :).
Jim (keeping out of the way, wiling away on you tube. RADFC)

KenB

Administrator
Sounds like an expensive do Jim - but obviously it is up to you.

Nice to have a handy son-in-law :)

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Yes, I suppose it will be expensive but I found it difficult to carry anything in my mind at the time.

Ok on the S.I.L. doing the decorating. He has also done the ceilings in the lounge and dining room. I have resisted doing those for many many years as neither of us smokes and we only light a fire at Christmas. On looking it was difficult to see where he had painted and the previous (original) painted ceilatex.

I'll be glad for the return of the W7 machine as this laptop is so slow compared to the old W7 machine.
If all is well I'll get it back on Monday evening. The wireless card had also gone caput. His good lady rang to get the WFI key .
It was an almighty big flash and bang. It threw the trip and blew the fuse, And I thought that trips protected us from that sort of thing.

My return to good heath was quick, SWMBO's some what slower due to the MS impeading her progress but surer for all that :).
Jim.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Yes, very happy KenB. It was a lot less than expected as the chip was unavailable. Too old so it had to be a used one. It looks like the keyboard is also caput so I'll have to get a new one of them tomorrow. I am having to use this W10 flap-top until then as the on-screen keyboard is a pain in the proverbial. The wireless board which fitted in the back was reduced to a USB sized thing no bigger than your thumb-nail. That surprised me - must be invented by the Japanese :).
Thanks guys for all the help. Sorry I was unable to continue the diagnosis but I had enough on my plate. I will now relegate this flaptop to controlling the model railway when I can get around to it.
Cheers
Jim.