• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

[Solved] Copy an old disk to a new one

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Aaaagh! Did it wrong. I did not follow the tutorial correctly. Just like my school reports - Could do better!
Ok did it right I think, I have just heard a completion sound from the room my computer is in. That is the new hdd done next I do an image onto the external HDD then a restore copy on a CD or maybe a memory stick as that is so quick.
jim (from SWMBO's computer)

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi there, it seems to have 'cloned' the old HDD onto the new. I have to switch it off and replace the that drive in a minute.
Before I do I thought I would see if it worked on this 80GB drive that has nothing else on it.
I switched off, took of the new 465GB HDD and connected up the 80GB sata disk that has been in a draw for a few years. Having switched on and clicked on computer I expected to see it next to the C: drive as I did the other new HDD. Nope, not there. Yet it shows in device manager as an 80GB Seagate ST380811AS disk. Can anyone tell me why that is please? I don't think computers follow our logic at all.....
jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Over an hour later and it has successfully cloned my Seagate 465GB drive onto the much smaller SATA Seagate drive. What is more to test that, I disconnected the HDD and switched back on with only the smaller and older 80GB drive connected and hanging out of the side as depicted earlier. I am running off the cloned drive now so it definitely works ok. Albeit somewhat slower. Mind you I am only using 37GB of disk space according to the software. Ok I'll power down, have something to eat then exchange the old for the new drives.
jim

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim

Sorry nobody was around to answer your earlier questions - but it seems that you sorted it yourself :)

Looking good so far :)

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I have just got it back together having put in the new HDD - well except the bonnet bits and the back up casing. Perhaps I'll leave that out.
I'm using it for this and everything is werky-werky :whistle::) cross fingers (BTW where is the crossed fingers emoticon).
Thanks for the tutorial and the additional advice. It was invaluable in carrying out this procedure to me. Perhaps it will help some other peeps especially the bit about cloning to a smaller disk than the old one. I had printed out a hard copy of the instructions before I started
and it was that that pointed out my error in not following it.
Ok next I'll do my back up on the external drive and I'll do one of SWMBO's as well.
jim

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Great stuff Jim, and very glad to hear all has gone so well, plus whatever minor hitch it was, you sorted that as well.
Well done and if I was there in person I would be giving a pat on the back. (well perhaps not Pat, he is a bit too big to carry :D)

Nev.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks Nev, I feel that I've learned something yesterday. And achieved something as well.
The rescue CD didn't go so well. I thought it was alright but failed when I tried to boot from it.
I'm unsure of what went wrong as the error message said something about 'acpi process', I used the linux option as advised. I always had problems with burning CD's so wondered if that has something to do with it.
jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I've just tried another CD disc. I have blank Sony DVD+R 120min/4.7GB discs and RiDisc 8xDVD+RW 4.7GB and I have had success/failures with both. The second went on too long and required another disc quarter of the way through or less - it looked like it was making another copy as on the new HDD. Perhaps I clicked the wrong button? Anything is possible.....Anyway that disc now has 387MB missing when I tried formatting it to erase the mistaken image.
jim

Last edited:

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Just tried again with a RiDisc as that seems to be better. Also used Mr Fixit on the optical drive just to check things out. Equally unsuccessful I am sorry to say. It all looks good until the restore wizard (version V5.1.5828) doesn't let me pass the page requiring an input from me - where is the image stored. No matter what is 'entered' (the mouse doesn't work) via the keyboard it will not pass that page. There was seven files on the disc and one ready to be written - desktop.ini
jim

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Hi Jim, this puzzles me as I had no problem burning the rescue disks, granted the Ubuntu disk failed to find my external hard drive, but at least it booted and worked up till then. It was only because of that, I then went for the Windows PE option, takes ages to download, but once downloaded and burned, that disk works a treat.

I must ask, have you set the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive as first option, and also first put the disk in the drive before booting the computer?
To ensure the drive drawer is open, open it before shutting down. Place the disk in the drawer then boot back up, in most cases the system closes the CD/DVD drive drawer or tray as it boots up.

Have you tried the Windows PE option yet?

If not, be aware that unless you have a high speed cable connection it may take up to three hours to download. It is a heck of a big file is why, which does need to go onto a DVD, an ordinary CD isn't big enough.

Nev.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi Jim, this puzzles me as I had no problem burning the rescue disks, granted the Ubuntu disk failed to find my external hard drive,
I have disconnected the external drive as I didn't want to confuse the computer (or myself:))
went for the Windows PE option, takes ages to download, but once downloaded and burned, that disk works a treat.
I must ask, have you set the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive as first option,
No the BIOS isn't but I thought it was. It did boot differently by not going into windows and starting up in the manner described. I have tried going into setup to alter this but the page up/down buttons have no affect. The only buttons that work are the escape and the cursor up/down and then nothing alters the settings. I'm obviously missing something here - or is it windows seven. I've always managed this before in XP and Vista. I did realize that leaving the cd/dvd drive open ensured some feedback that it was looking there - which of course it did.
Ok I'll have to go the MS route or PE as you put it.
Jim

and also first put the disk in the drive before booting the computer?
To ensure the drive drawer is open, open it before shutting down. Place the disk in the drawer then boot back up, in most cases the system closes the CD/DVD drive drawer or tray as it boots up.
Yes I did this as it gave some feedback as to how it was working in spite of the setup being different.
I wonder if the cloning had anything to do with the setup being locked from those keys mentioned, also IIRC I was able to use the mouse in setup before. I could couple up my old drive and find out I suppose.
jim

Last edited:

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I am now on the old drive. I have tried the BIOS and it is the same as the clone. The keys advised in the F1 help have no affect at all. The only ones are the cursor up and down and the esc key for quitting. I don't know where to go from here. I feel a session on google coming on.
jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I have tried switching off UAC. It had no effect.
jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Nope, no luck there either.
I'd try an update on the bios but they want paying....
Its a Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 3.08 18/09/2006.
It's time for me to make my cocoa.
jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I have tried the other route, the PE one and it did not work either. But it did give me a clue by saying that there was an 0xC00000e9 error on the dvd drive. I did think that whilst I had it all apart I should put in a new drive as I know that to be at least 4 years old and I do use it a lot.
Well it still works for the drawing/painting DVD's I watch so I'll get one and put it in sometime soon, just not right away.

I did follow up the error on google but was told my product ID was no longer supported?
Ah well.
Many thanks for all the assistance.
jim

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Hi Jim, there may be some crossed wires in the conversation here, the rescue disk, either the Ubuntu or the Windows PE is a self contained operating system, it is designed to be the operating system if the main one fails or is not existent, and its primary purpose is to be used as an operating system for a means of transferring an image from the external hard drive back onto the computer.
So, I am a little puzzled about what you are seeing and it may actually be because the external hard drive is not connected, though I don't know for sure of course.

Can you give me the full error report you see as that 0xC00000e9 gives no results at all on the Microsoft error diagnosis site. However there may well be some odd fault with the burning head as a perhaps, and is not burning the disk correctly.

The options for control while in the BIOS pages are only the up and down arrow keys and the enter key, if you move the cursor or highlight up or down, then hit the enter key, it will go into the relevant page to adjust settings after that, and there is usually some rudimentary instructions on the bottom of each page as to which keys to press for entering a change.

A good bit of reading, but excellent instructions for understanding how to navigate round and set up BIOS here Jim-

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/ultimate_bios_guide_every_bios_setting_revealed

Nev.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks Nev for your patience in this.
You are correct, the problem here is BTCAK!
Thanks for link to the BIOS explanation, I needed a reminder as it's been a long time.
Also about crossed wires - I think knickers in a knot might be more like it. I have not had the external drive connected in either of these tests as I assumed they were boot disks by themselves :rolleyes: I did not realize that they existed just to load down the image :rolleyes:
Ok, tomorrow I'll try the PE disc again with the external drive plugged in and see if it percolates with that in. Thanks again for realizing where I was going wrong.
jim

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Just a thought, when you burned the disks, did you allow Macrium reflect to do the burning for you?
You should as it then burns a correct ISO file, if you used a different burning program you may not have it as an ISO file. Which of course will not run as a bootable disk then.

Nev.

Top Bottom