• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

• Due to the complexity and risks involved our formally trained malware staff will be the only ones allowed to help with malware removal advice. Thank you.

[Solved] Do I have a virus?

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Tracey

When the frst had finished it restarted my laptop and after logging i got my desktop within seconds. I opened my documents then downloads and copied txt to add here, I then shut down my documents and clicked the shortcut for chrome. I waited 1.30 minuets for a blank screen to load and a further 45 seconds for google to load. sometimes when I am on the net I repeatedly get google chrome not responding (or firefox not responding if i am using Mozilla).
So the system itself seems to be running ok, it's the browsers that are running slow .... is that right?

Your Google Chrome is up to date, but your Firefox is an out dated version.
To update Firefox.... From Firefox click on the Help menu and then click on 'About Firefox'.
This should now download the latest version: 41.0.1

First thing to try would be to reset the browsers back to the default:

To Reset Firefox
  • At the top of the Firefox window, click the Help menu and select Troubleshooting Information
  • Click the Reset Firefox… button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
  • To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
  • Firefox will close and be reset. When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported.
  • Click Finish and Firefox will open.
Note:
After the reset is finished, your old Firefox profile information will be placed on your desktop in a folder named "Old Firefox Data." If the reset didn't fix your problem you can restore some of the information not saved by copying files to the new profile that was created.
If you don't need this folder any longer, you should delete it as it contains sensitive information.

The reset feature works by creating a new profile folder for you while saving your most important data.

Firefox will try to keep the following data:
  • Bookmarks
  • Browsing history
  • Passwords
  • Cookies
  • Web form auto-fill information
  • Personal dictionary

--------------------

To reset Google Chrome
  • Click the Menu option button at the top right of the Google Chrome screen
  • Select Settings.
  • Click Show advanced settings and find the "Reset browser settings” section.
  • Click Reset browser settings.
  • In the dialogue that appears, click Reset. Note: When the "Help make Google Chrome better by reporting the current settings" tick box is selected you are anonymously sending Google your Chrome settings. Reporting these settings allows us to analyse trends and work to prevent future unwanted settings changes.

Resetting your browser settings will impact the settings below:

Default search engine and saved search engines will be reset and to their original defaults.
Homepage button will be hidden and the URL that you previously set will be removed.
Default startup tabs will be cleared. The browser will show a new tab when you startup or continue where you left off if you're on a Chromebook.
New Tab page will be empty unless you have a version of Chrome with an extension that controls it. In that case your page may be preserved.
Pinned tabs will be unpinned.
Content settings will be cleared and reset to their installation defaults.
Cookies and site data will be cleared.
Extensions and themes will be disabled.

Another thing to try, would be to create a new user account on the system and see if the browsers are any better with the new account.

Let me know if this makes any difference.

Btw: do you know what Internet speed you are getting?
Obviously a slow connection will result in slow browsers.

To find out what speed you are getting, go to:
http://www.speedtest.net/

After the page loads, click on Begin Test.
After the test completes it will give you 3 results:
Ping Test
Download speed
Upload speed.

Last edited:

Trazza

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Hi starbuck I have reset google chrome ,shut it down then reopend it and it took 3 seconds whoo hoo!!!

Not bothering with mozilla at the moment as we have stopped using it in favor of chrome but I have copied instructions down and will do it at a later date

I have done a speed test and the results are below..

Ping Test 43mds
Download speed 6.21mbps
Upload speed. 0.34mbps

We tried to get infinity but it is not available in our area.

Thanks Tracey

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Tracey,

Ping Test 43mds
Download speed 6.21mbps
Upload speed. 0.34mbps
Ok, those speeds are very slow..... that would obviously effect the browser speed.

These are the results I've just got from my system:

Ping: 16ms
Download: 33.11Mbps
Upload: 1.89Mbps
Not much more we can do actually if it's the Internet connection.
The system is malware free ( so your husband will be happy :) ) and we've changed your AntiVirus to a nice reliable one.

Let's finish the cleaning process and remove the tools we have used.
We'll also set you a fresh restore point.

Step 1
Restart MBAM.
Click on the History tab >> Quarantine
Tick to select all items (if any there ) and then click the Delete button.
Close MBAM.

Step 2
Download Delfix and save it to your desktop.
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is checked.
  • Also place a checkmark next to:
  • Create registry backup
  • Purge system restore

• Click the Run button.
When the tool has finished, please reboot your system to complete the cleanup.
A log will open in notepad.... but i don't actually need this report

Any questions you have... feel free to ask.

Glad I was able to help.

Safe surfing.

Trazza

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Thank you sooo much for all your time and help

Tracey

Trazza

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Hi Starbuck sorry about this but I seem to still have some Norton on the laptop. When I go to sign in to my ebay at the bottom of the page i have an icon that says Norton secured.

I have tried running the Norton uninstall tool again but nothing changed.

is there anything I can do?

Thanks Tracey

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Tracey

When I go to sign in to my ebay at the bottom of the page i have an icon that says Norton secured.
You mean like this:

Don't worry about it.
There's nothing you can do to get rid of it..... it's Ebay that is using it, not you.
It's part of the security feature on their login page.

This will explain it a bit more:

https://www.symantec.com/en/uk/page.jsp?id=seal-transition

Trazza

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Thanks Starbuck that's a weight of my mind..

Just been on to BT to see about upgrading my internet again and according to them I have a really good connection so you must have a really supper duper conection:D. We are too far from the exchange to receive any faster connection :mad:

Thanks for all the help Tracey

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
so you must have a really supper duper connection
It's the medium fibre connection from Talk Talk.

We are too far from the exchange to receive any faster connection
That's the problem with phone line connections.

It also depends on how many devices you have connected to the internet..... Phones, Tablets PC's etc.
Disconnecting say the phones when using the PC may give a better signal strength.
Also, connecting a laptop using an ethernet cable to the router instead of using WiFi may give a better signal strength.

This link may help to see what the best connection speed is in your area.

Best Broadband For Your Postcode

As your original problem has been addressed, I've now marked this thread as 'Solved'.
But it's still open in case you need to reply.

Top Bottom