• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

[Solved] HDD to SSD.

Bringe

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Hi KenB

I tried the above idea but it didn't work. I dont know exactly what happened to the corrupt USB but on inserting it
into a port it kind of locked the whole PC up. Got me a bit worried, but by removing it the PC was fine again.
I hope its not done any damage??

One last thing, I know were a bit off topic now, but I noticed there is a HDMI socket on the PC and also on my screen,
I got an HDMI cable, on the cable it says "high speed hdmi cable with ethernet" plugged it in, I was hoping for a much better
picture, there was a picture, not really any better than before, but there was no sound??
Swapped it back to the old VGA cable and the sound came back.
Do you have any ideas about that, or is there no point to having a HDMI connection??

Many Thanks.

Bringe.

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Bringe

HDMI is usually a much better connection than VGA
There should be sound.

Do you have another cable to try ?

Bringe

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Hi KenB.
Just a thought about the sound issue with the HDMI cable.
My sound comes out of the pc through a stereo jack socket
which goes into my hifi system.
Just wondering if that has anything to do with it??

Kind Regards,

Bringe.

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Regarding that memory stick - if it is locking the pc up when you insert it the memory stick has serious problems.

I would be inclined to try a different HDMI cable because you should get a decent picture and sound.

Bringe

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Hi KenB.

Yes, as for the memory stick, its not going anywhere near this PC again!!
I will obtain another HDMI cable and try again, does it only carry the picture,
and the audio still comes from the stereo jack plug into my hifi amp??

I would think its best to change the VGA cable to HDMI with the power
turned off at the wall socket, then power on and see what happens??

Kind Regards.

Bringe.

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Bringe

Not sure how you have it set up - I connect my laptop directly to my TV via the HDMI cable.
This carries both picture and sound.
I have to select the appropriate HDMI channel on the TV to get the picture and sound - but that is all.
I don't have it playing through a hifi.

Try yours through the tv only and see if you get a decent picture and sound.

Bringe

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Hi KenB.

I think I understand now, I've not tried this desktop plugged into the TV as it would involve moving this PC, keyboard, mouse, all downstairs.
And the TT set top box is plugged into the HDMI socket on the TV.
I think the solution would be to obtain a flat screen TV with an HDMI input socket, but also with "audio out" either jack plug or phono plugs
which could then connect to my HIFI amp.
Does that make sense???

Many Thanks.

Bringe.

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Bringe
I don't know why I assumed that you were using a tv ......... blinkered vision !!
Your HDMI cable to a monitor should work no problem.

I assume that the monitor works fine with the VGA cable ?

Give a different cable a try.
A spare HDMI cable is no bad thing :)

Last edited:

Bringe

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Hi KenB

I got another HDMI cable and this time I picked the monitor up to make sure it was fitted correctly and then I saw it,
A 3/16" audio out jack plug, so I took the audio plug out of the back of the PC and plugged it in to the monitor and
hey presto, to quote a line from AC/DC "let there be sound, and there was sound"!!!
So now with an up to date PC with an HDMI connection I think this HDD to SSD thread can be laid to rest??
I know I didn't actually get an SSD drive but I am happy with the result I have now.

Many Thanks for all your help through this, I will probably be back sometime with another problem:smash:

Bringe.

Top Bottom