• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

[Solved] jump from W7 to W10 and nothing works the same - email and Bluetooth problems

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
My W7 machine gave up the ghost so I gave in and updated to a new all-in-one machine with W10. And found nothing works the same!

I still have the HP laptop to retain some semblance of sanity but emails to my google address does not reach my new W10 on the new all-in-one.
I also watch a lot of you tube - plagued by ads. To aid my hard-of-hearing I got a blue tooth head-set. That works fine after finding out how to connect it. It will only connect if the computer is re-started, yet bluetooth is switched on all the time on the computer. Oh come back W7, all is forgiven.
I can transfer files quite easily as I have a USB connected hard drive.
W10 favourite is to have a window with no red x in T.R.H. corner and to ask a question that requests an unfavourable answer to the operator.

How do I get emails from my google addy to the new W10?
Can I get bluetooth to connect as soon as I switch it on?

Jim.

Last edited by a moderator:

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim

Let's try sorting your email first:

Have you logged into your gmail account from Win10 machine?
Just Google ...... gmail login
You will need your email address and password.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks KenB. I now have managed to get my google email account to open on the new W10 computer. The password was what was the sticking point - I had to invent one that I wouldn't forget.
Jim.

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Good to hear Jim.

You say that Bluetooth will only connect when re-started.
Does this mean that it drops out ?
As I read it -
if you boot up - Bluetooth is active.
Why should you need to re-start ?

Is this when the machine hibernates ?

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I am unsure where my communication went wrong but please tell me. My wife wont :).
Perhaps I should say it only connects on a start/restart of the computer.
say I'm watching you-tube or something and it comes time for a zoom meeting where the headphones are needed for my hearing. I have to restart the computer to get the blue-tooth 'connected'. I can see that the computer has the blue-tooth option ready.
I switch on the head phones, press the middle button and hold it pressed and I hear a voice say 'power on' then if it has been restarted, it says 'connected'. I can then hear all through the head set. It switches the speakers off. If it has not been restarted then the audio continues through the speakers and nothing through the head set.
Jim.

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim
Thanks for the extra info.

Do this for me please .... without the headphones
In the Search Box [bottom left of screen] type in ....... services.msc ...... hit Enter
Scroll down and find the Bluetooth entries.
Mine looks like this:
1625747648078.png

Does yours say "Manual" - "Auto" or "Stopped"

Now with the headphones on do the same.

Let me have the results please.

You can use the Snipping Tool to copy the Bluetooth part of Services and paste here [ as I have done ] :)

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks KenB for coming back on this.
For some reason my services.msc will not be snipped and copied. Three bluetooth items seem to be there and, after scrolling, each one is running.
Jim.

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim
I really wanted to know if they were set to Manual / Auto

Go back to Services - check if the Bluetooth ones are Manual or Auto
Right click on each Bluetooth service then click on Properties.
You will see this
1625388393217.png

If the Startup Type says "Manual" use the down-arrow to the right and change it to "Auto"

Click Apply then OK

Close Services and then open them again to check that the changes have taken place.

Try your headphones again.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks KenB, I did just what you said and found them all as manual.
I was able to change two to automatic but the third 'user support services' gave me an error of 'the parameters are incorrect'.
So it's just the first two set as automatic and yes the head-set connects when I put them on and switch on. many thanks indeed. Solved! :)

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
I will chalk this one up as "Solved" Jim :)

Get back to us if you have any more problems.

Top Bottom