• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

[Solved] Processor speed

JayCee6828

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi I have an AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-core processor 2.60 GHz but according to PC Wizard it is running all the time at 1.3 GHz ie half speed.

I think this may be a bios setting but am not sure, can you tell me where I can set the BIOS to make it run at 2.6 GHx all the time.

Thanks

Helcaraxe

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Are you running with AMD Cool and Quiet enabled?

Cool and Quiet will underclock your processor speed when it's full processing speed is not required. If that is the case you deselect Cool and Quiet in the bios menu so it will run at 2.6 all the time.

Cool and Quiet can be found in the advanced section of the bios.

Last edited:

JayCee6828

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi, thanks for that.

I thought that was what it was but I can't find a setting for AMD cool and quiet anywhere in the BIOS settings; do you know which setting it is in?

Helcaraxe

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
well on my bios it is in the advanced section under cpu configuration, towards the bottom of the screen.

JayCee6828

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks, found it now but to get the processor to run at 2.6 I had to also disable an item under throttle processor as well.

Sorry to be a pain but I never thought of looking under CPU settings - although obvious I guess when you know!

Thanks for the help

Helcaraxe

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thank you Ken.

Nice to be able to help someone else for once.:D

Top Bottom