• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

[Solved] Re-install XP on New HDD, No Sound

llanfallteg16

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi All,

Dell Dimension 4700, XP Home, SP3, 2GBRAM, Video Radeon HD5450 2GB

Recently reinstalled XP on new HDD. Got around to the speakers last night and found no sound even from headphones jack.

Device manager shows problem with Multimedia Audio Controller. Tried to download new drivers but none can be found.
This is an on-board sound chip that seems to have been missed when the drivers were handed out!
I still have access to the old HDD in a HDD Caddy. Can I copy a file from the old Windows system to the new HDD. If this
is possible what am I looking for? I've identified the files with drivers but not sure what's wanted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

J

llanfallteg16

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi Ken,

Fantastic, downloaded the files from Dell in Canada, they seem more friendly there!
Needed an ATI codec bundle as well, so downloaded the lot.
Annie Lennox sings again!
All sorted again. I'll get some work done eventually.

Thanks for your most welcome help yet again.
Regards

J

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
You are welcome.

Glad that it was that simple :)

Top Bottom