• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

[Solved] Using external DVD player. No DVD detected

DavidR

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I have an Intel Stream HP. This has no internal DVD player, so I bought an external one. I had to download VLC media player to be able to watch DVD's. But when it comes to burning DVD's, Microsoft does not recognise the disc! What can I do please?

KenB

Administrator
Hi,
Do you get an error message ?
If so let us know what this is please.

Can you play music CDs or other CDs ?
Is it just the burning that is a problem?

Try "Ashampoo" burning software [free]
click here
See if this is any better.

Try a different make of disk.
Sometimes one particular make is just not compatible.

DavidR

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks KenB. Still not accepting DVD's! It tells me to load a DVD that's RW, which I do (Phillips) I've noticed on YouTube, that you have to change things on your computer so a DVD can be recognised? When I do put a blanc DVD in the external burner/player, it always classes it as a CD. Hope this help's to sort the problem?

DavidR

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Just a cheap thing from China. Could you recommend one please?

KenB

Administrator
Just a cheap thing from China
This could be your problem.

Some DVDs and DVD players are regional.
In other words DVDs designated Region 2 are for use in Europe.
Region 6 is China.
Can you see a region anywhere on the drive?

You say it is a cheap one - does it actually say Read and Write ?
Could it be Read only ?

If you buy a new drive you could end up with the same problem if it is computer related.

Last edited:

DavidR

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
KenB It says compact disc re-writable ultra sound dvd rom

KenB

Administrator
You asked for recommendations .....
I don't use an external drive but this link suggests the 10 best options. - click here
Take a look at the top 3 or 4

If your computer has USB 3.0 ports you would benefit from a drive that is USB 3.0 compatible.
It reads/writes data faster.
If your USB ports are 2.0 don't worry - USB 3.0 external drive will still work OK

Hope that this helps.

Last edited:

DavidR

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
KenB I've bought a LITEON, which works very well. Can I ask another question? When I plug the LITEON in you go to my pc and there you can see DVD RW. But I can only put one file in at a time, I would like to burn more than one file to a DVD. Is there a way of doing this? I would prefer to use this method so I can watch them on my computer.
Thanks

DavidR

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks KenB. Through trial and error I managed to find out how. Thanks for all the information you sent.

Top Bottom