• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

some youtube clips have no sound (but I can see the volume bar showing that there is)

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Hi Jim, all those do play OK for me, and cannot see any major differences between them and those others that do play for you.
So, there may be some other odd setting on your computer and Flash player stopping the sound for you.
So on a video or two that will play, right click anywhere in the middle of the picture, and then have a look firstly at "stats for nerds", then again look at "Settings", and then also "Global settings"

Then do exactly the same with video's that will play the sound and see if you can find any setting differences.

By the way, for "Settings", you will see this window opens, it has five different types of settings to check with an icon to click for each, as shown by the arrows.

If you do see something different between those you can hear and those you can't, try changing the settings to match.

Nev.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Aha, this may be the first clue as I have no settings in 'stats for nerds'. Also looking at the button for settings in the bottom right hand corner does not give me any adobe flash player settings window like the one you showed. Just the option to have subtitles and to alter the resolution of the video. It seems I am missing something.
jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I don't know why but they are showing now! There is no variation between the settings/global settings of those you tube clips I hear and those I cannot hear.

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Hi, sorry, I should have mentioned in the stats for nerds, there are no settings you can alter, it is just an information page only.
However, that one does show some differences for Db ratings, though nothing I can pin down as there are low and high readings for both types of video.
I doubt there is any settings in your security as a block of any sort would block all Youtube flash video's, not just the sound on some.
So I went searching to see if there was anything similar and if it had been cured.
Ifound that it may just be the settings in the Realtek panel providing you do have realtek sound system, if it is set to anything other than stereo, say 5.1, it may be the cause and just for those video's it requires setting to stereo.
This video here explains where the settings are and quite nicely, you don't need the sound as it is only music background, it is all done with labels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ApCrUaIeMk&feature=share

Let us know if that was it Jim please as extra searching found the Realtek setting was a quite common problem.

Nev.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Ifound that it may just be the settings in the Realtek panel providing you do have realtek sound system, if it is set to anything other than stereo, say 5.1, it may be the cause and just for those video's it requires setting to stereo.
This video here explains where the settings are and quite nicely, you don't need the sound as it is only music background, it is all done with labels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ApCrUaIeMk&feature=share

Let us know if that was it Jim please as extra searching found the Realtek setting was a quite common problem.

Nev.
I found that also by googling the problem. I have a VIA sound system according to speccy. I presume that requires its own drivers.
jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I have a headset here and plugging that in the front I can just about hear him - that is the chap in the video. Plugging the speakers in the front gives me mains hum and it amplifies that talking to just understandable speech. How ever it does it through one side of the headphones or one speaker. That is mono. So it is processing the audio, it's the settings that are incorrect.
jim

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Hi Jim, unfortunately I am not familiar with the VIA sound systems at all, and can find little in the way of settings instructions.

If you could show us some screen shots of various control panel windows it might help. If a simple setting in the Realtek system can make things work, there surely must be something similar in the VIA system.

Nev.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I agree with you Nev. Playing around with the insertion jacks makes it look like a mono/stereo thing very similar to the realtek answer. I could show you an onscreen image of the audio display page but I do not know how to do it as in a screen dump.
jim

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Thanks DSTM for that link. :D

I looked at the link myself and with that one there are two choices, however I think the first would be the one to try Jim.

See how that goes first, and if still no good, you shouldn't come to grief trying the second.

I am short of time right now, however I will post tomorrow how to post screen shots on here, 'tis a little complicated at first, but once you have done one it becomes easier.

Nev.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks for replying folks.
I looked at the link myself and with that one there are two choices, however I think the first would be the one to try Jim.
I have looked at the page mentioned and I was out of my depth - the mention of raid and hyperian etc. threw me as I have heard these terms but don't know if my computer uses them at all.
See how that goes first, and if still no good, you shouldn't come to grief trying the second.
I would normally be very cautious about installing chipset drivers and here we try it to see if it works. I'm worried.
I am short of time right now, however I will post tomorrow how to post screen shots on here, 'tis a little complicated at first, but once you have done one it becomes easier.Nev.
I'll wait just a bit for this and try the pictorial way first. I can't afford for the computer to go face up on me at this time of year.
jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I have been trying to save an image of the VIA audio deck. Enlarging it I realised I could test both speakers - only one worked. It is in mono connection yet the deck shows a stereo system. Weird or what? One of the connectors is definitely a stereo connector and the other I assume to be power for the amplifier. I will try playing some more and see what I can find.
jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Solved it!
It was TIBCAS (the idiot between chair and screen).
When I set up this computer (was it that long ago) I inadvertently put the pink connection of the stereo speakers into the pink socket at the back of the computer, and because it gave sound left it there. WRONG it should have gone into the pink socket on the other speaker where the out put from the amplifier is. I did wonder why it had a stereo plug on one wire and a single jack on the other wire. Oh dear me!
Ah well all's well that ends well.
jim

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Nice one Jim :)

Proof, yet again, that perseverance pays off.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I thought I might try to up-load an image or two, does it work?
jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Nope, try again as I have made them smaller. I know some sites have size limitations.
It looks as if I only got one here, that's one more than before though.
jim

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim

EDIT:
I just replied as you were posting .... you don't need any further help with posting images :)

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Trial and error KenB. Thanks everyone for all the help.
Jim

Top Bottom