• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Sophos

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Well at the minute obviously we're thinking a lot about our computers and our security measures or lack of them. Once we get a new PC I know most of these thoughts will pass so wanted to make sure of a few things now while it is a concern.

Through my dads old work we've been running Sophos for free, but it seems to get very little mention on here and I'm wondering if its up to the job. We've really had very little problem with viruses and things and it occasionally pops up to tell us its found one.

So is it decent anti-virus software or should we look at getting something else.

Thanks in advance.

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Thanks Seth I had read that earlier and its kind of what prompted the question, Obviously you don't recommend it but is there any big problem with it like some of the others you mentioned.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Given it's rarity, I have little to no experience with Sophos.

Your best protection is the knowledge of what "messages" to avoid as outlined in the link.

Given your scenario, I recommend you keep Sophos, but run a weekly complete scan with the free version of SuperAntiSpyware (be sure to update it before a scan).

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Thanks, the messages have never been an issue I don't click on anything that looks dodgy. Sophos updates it self every time we go online don't know if that's normal for an anti-virus or not, but i presume it is. We've always though if big companies were using it then it must be fairly safe ( my dad used to work for CIS) but I guess that might not be the case.

Anyway will download SuperAntiSpyware now thanks again for the advice.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
You're welcome.

Most AntiVirus companies have simply not kept up with newer forms of malware.
They've been doing much better lately, but for the longest time, it seemed they wanted to turn a blind eye toward anything but viruses. This despite the fact that over the last few years viruses have been becoming progressively more rare. To the point where they are now far overshadowed by malware such as Trojan Horses, Spyware, and Adware.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Ouch. I'll be back in 30 mins to give you some advice.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
You're welcome.

I do a alot of malware removal in my computer repair shop, and I've never found any program that detects and removes malware as effectively as SAS (SuperAntiSpyware). Although I have been testing one called MalwareBytes. It's really good, but not up to SAS's ability.

I recommend the following:

1: Download ATF Cleaner from http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlatfcleaner.html to remove "junk" files from your computer that contain malware.
When you run ATF Cleaner, uncheck "Cookies" and "Recycle Bin", then click "Empty Selected". For FireFox, be sure to click on the FireFox tab and uncheck "Cookies" and "Recycle Bin" before clicking on "Empty Selected".

2: Disable your internet security by right clicking on its icon (usually located in the system tray next to the time display) and choosing "Exit", "Disable", or "Shut Down".

3: Run an online scan with Eset from http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/
You must use Internet Explorer for this online scan.
Accept the terms and click "Start".
Once the scanner is ready, check "Remove found threats" AND "Scan unwanted applications".
Click "Start" to begin the scan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you considered purchasing a lifetime subscription key for SAS so that you'll have real time protection?

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Hi, sure this is a really stupid question but when I try and run Eset I get told that I need Administrator rights. I am the administrator and and using the only account on the laptop.

Sure there's a simple solution.

Cheers

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Close all instances of IE, then go to Start>Programs>Internet Explorer. Right click on it and run it as the Administrator. The scan should work now.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
There may be some policy being set by one of the Malware applications.

Try copying this and pasting it to NOTEPAD and then save-as RemovePolicy.reg

Using notepad if you place a start quote " and an end quote " around the name it will save the file with that extension. So you would save the file like this: "RemovePolicy.reg"

You can save it to any folder just as long as you know where you're saving it and can find it again. At the end of the file there should be a blank line

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D82BE2B0-5764-11D0-A96E-00C04FD705A2}]
@="IShellFolderBand"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D82BE2B0-5764-11D0-A96E-00C04FD705A2}\InProcServer32]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,53,00,48,00,\
45,00,4c,00,4c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SystemTray"="SysTray.Exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2\]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU\]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop\]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}\BarSize\]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoBandCustomize"=dword:00000000
"NoMovingBands"=dword:00000000
"NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
"NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000
"NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
"NoToolbarsOnTaskbar"=dword:00000000
"NoSetTaskbar"=dword:00000000
"NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000
"ClassicShell"=dword:00000000
"LockTaskbar"=dword:00000000
"NoTrayContextMenu"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
"NoMovingBands"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478}\]
"BarSize"=-
"Media Band"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Shell"="explorer.exe"
"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe,"
Then find that file and DOUBLE-CLICK it and say yes to import the settings.
This should pretty much restore it back to the default settings for policies in Windows.
Restart your computer and try the online scan again.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Good point Ron.

Are you aware of Doug Knox's Security Console and/or SAS's policy repairs?

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Yes I am, but a bit much for most users at Doug's site. His tool to me is confusing as heck so I know a new user would have trouble with it. The paid version might be better don't know but the free one is not noobie friendly (IMHO)

SAS is okay but not sure what is going on under the covers with it and don't have enough experience with it to currently give it my support for now. Not saying it is doing anything wrong, but would like more experience or knowledge before I whole heartedly recommend it.

Here I can see and know EXACTLY what it's doing and how to UNDO it if needed.

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Can I presume that since I got Eset running I can ignore post #16 onwards because although I could probably follow the instructions it was a little bit heavy for me to understand at the minute.

I haven't actually managed to complete the Eset scan due to internet explorer stopping working, which is why I now use firefox. Bit late for me to set it off again tonight but it was nearly at the end and had found nothing, will give it another go tomorrow.

Thanks very much for al your help, in answer to your ealier question, i will definitely look into purchasing SAS, it appears to cost very little and if its as good as you say then it will be well worth it. Its obvious sophos isn't doing as much good as I though it was.