• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Sound/Audio Problems, Sound is working but is extremely quiet

Richie G

FPCH New Member
Hello - Please Help!

I have recently bought a used dell dimension 2400 series computer. Initially it had no sound, so I downloaded the appropriate driver off the dell website and I now have sound but it is extremely quiet. I have turned up all volume controls etc but it's almost silent. I have tried speakers that I know work on another computer and tried all the different holes at the back of the computer and the best I can get is extremely quiet audio.

I think that the sound card is built in, I know that it is soundmax digital audio. It seems strange that I can hear sound but very quiet. I have tried everything obvious to me. Surely the driver on the dell website is the correct driver?? I even entered the service tag number on the website. The operating system is Windows XP.

Thanks for your time. I hope that you can help.

Richard.

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Richie

You definitely downloaded the ADI 198x Integrated Audio driver rather than the Sound blaster ones yes?
It's the first in a list of three.
I have an Optiplex 170L and have the exact same driver that I have just mentioned and it works fine.
If you have onboard sound then according to the manual you should only have three 3.5mm jacks.
Pink = Mic
Light green = Audio Out
Green = Line Out

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
There was actually a HiDef audio driver that came on some of the systems that all the MFG drivers don't work, but the one from MS does.

You will notice it by a yellow indicator down in the SYSTEM DEVICES of Device Manager even when all the audio looks fine.

IF it's the yellow indicator on the actual audio/video/game controller section then you need the driver from the MFG.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member