• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Sound not working

klw

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi ----- Loaded web cam software the other day and now the sound on my pc is not working. When I go to sound under control panel it is greyed out as is the speaker test option. Also under device manager there is a yellow circle with an exclamation mark under the audio listing.

O/S is windows xp home.

Can anyone assist please ?

W

Wolfeymole

Hello KLW

Welcome to Free PC Help

Can you please tell us the name of the webcam and the make and model of your pc?

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi kwl;
Before you get in too deep consider uninstalling the new software and see if everthing is back to normal.
You can also restore to a point before this if you have a restore point.
Granted this may not help with restoring the original drivers but it is worth a shot.

Please answer Wolfeymoles questions, he has a lot of knowledge.

In the future set a restore point manually before installing new software.

Just trying to help;
RandyL

klw

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Hi fellahs and thank you.

It is an E-system 3083 laptop with an Intel Celeron processor about 2 years old with xp home and sp2. The software is from Creative labs for the web cam.

I did uninstall and re-install but did not however try the sound when it was uninstalled. The system restore option is a valid point.

Hope this is the information you requested.

Please get back to me if it is not.

W

Wolfeymole

Uninstall the cam for the moment and try the sound.
If there is no sound get the driver from here.
It's the 5th driver down in the list and install it.

Make sure you have sound and then reinstall the cam.

Have a look for the latest webcam driver here

klw

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
ok thanks wolfeymole I will do that later as I have other things on my plate now. Just jumping the gun a little,assuming after un-installing creative labs and the sound now works on the pc , where would that leave me as regards the web cam software as I would really like sound with cam. installed ?

W

Wolfeymole

Once you have installed the driver for the sound and all is ok install the latest downloaded driver for the webcam at creative.
Then attach the cam.

klw

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Sorry Wolfeymole I missed that you had already posted the necessary actions to take.

Apologies and thanks again.

klw

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Hi Wolfeymole -- Found time to do the necessary work and it worked as per your help. Thank you very much.

W

Wolfeymole

Thanks for coming back and letting us know klw, if you get any more pc issues you know where we are.