• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

sound problems on windows xp

PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
Hi all..i really need some advice....My sound on my pc keeps playing up..one minute it will work and the next it ges silent...if you bring up the main volume control and click mute on and off it someties comes back and sometimes not....

also sometimes if i try to bring up the volume control it gives me the message 'there are no active mixers devices available...goto control panel, click printers and other hardware.....but theres nthing there!

Also when the sound does work it sounds almost warped????

ive been into device manager and all seems fine...no problems highlighted

can anyone help?

im running windows xp on a time semphron unit if that helps

thanks

p.s. im totally clueless about pcs so please be nice!! lol

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi

Welcome to Free PC Help.

Check Device Manager:
  • Right-Click My Computer and select Properties
  • Click on the Hardware Tab and click on Device Manager
  • Is there any yellow ! or red x by the Sound Cards?

The first step is to re-install the drivers for the sound card.
In device manager right-click on the sound card (sound device) and select uninstall

Now restart your pc and when it starts up again windows should automatically install the drivers again. If not then we will need the make and model of the sound card or motherboard(if it is onboard sound). Or it will ask you for the disk with the driver(if you dont have it we can find it on the net).

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Hi, Also a check of the speaker plugs, (pull the plug out and reinsert once or twice) just to rule out a poor or dirty connection. If the sound system is on a separate card rather than on board the motherboard, remove it and then replace to make sure the contacts are making a good connection.