• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

soundcards

postie1

FPCH Member
the music on my comp isnt crisp got like a slight static noise,its not speakers as they r fine,will i need to replace soundcard or can i upgrade it on line, thanks

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Is the static present when playing cd's as well as music stored on the hard drive?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Since playing a cd doesn't need a codec (converter), then it can't be a codec problem.

Provided that the speakers are fine, then it comes down to a defective audio card, or a corrupt audio driver. Uninstall the card from Device Manager and restart the computer. The card should install correctly on reboot. See how that works out.

BTW-Is this the same computer with the internet problem? Is this sound card built into the motherboard or is it separate?

I agree with Seth, onboard sound is low quality. The motherboard is a very noisy enviroment and sound quality is a very low priority on most motherbaords. On a pci card its much easier to get isolation from the electrical noise.

For value for money I have always liked the creative live range.

Dave

postie1

FPCH Member
Seth said:
Since playing a cd doesn't need a codec (converter), then it can't be a codec problem.

Provided that the speakers are fine, then it comes down to a defective audio card, or a corrupt audio driver. Uninstall the card from Device Manager and restart the computer. The card should install correctly on reboot. See how that works out.

BTW-Is this the same computer with the internet problem? Is this sound card built into the motherboard or is it separate?
thanks seth,no this int the same comp as the lan default,yes it is built in to the motherboard,thnks again for help,will try suggested comment,will get back with results