• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

start-up problems

juntibi

FPCH New Member
My PC is suffering from a start-up problem that I encountered just these past days. After switching my PC on, then comes the beep from the CPU and the Windows Logo with a loading sign below appears (just as the usual process). Then after a while, everything disappears, even before the loading ends. My monitor now turns to dead black. Even after an hour, still there was no any change or development. I though it could be some hard ware problem, but when I run the Windows on Safe Mode, everything is fine. I'm really worried about this. Hope someone or anyone from this forum could give me a piece of advice.
By the way, I just had my software reinstalled (reformatted) and here it is, working in good condition once again. Sad to say, I am expecting the same error when I restart my PC.

W

Wolfeymole

Have you tried choosing "Last Known Good Configuration" like in the shot below when in Safe Mode.

juntibi

FPCH New Member
hey wolf, thanks for the reply. As I've mentioned, when I tried running it on safe mode, everything is ok. It starts-up, load everything right, and runs normally. But I cannot run my computer in safe mode all through out. I already tried starting my Windows on the last known good configuration and still, the same error occurs. It starts up for a few seconds and then, things are shimmering black again.

Can you run through what you have had done so far, did you have the problems before the reinstall ? did the reinstall fix it ?

The main diffrence in safe mode is the drivers and video resolution. It could be that the resolution in windows is set too high for the monitor. Try booting in safe mode, changing the resolution to 800X600 and rebooting. Its possible that bad video drivers could be doing somthing funny to the card, in the shop I would just try a card with a diffrent chipset to see if that works. You could try uninstalling the video drivers in safe mode.

Your video card could be on its way out, in safe mode they run with reduced performance, it may be it only fails when running at full speed.

Dave

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
As mentioned, the video card driver is the main culprit. From the Boot Menu, try VGA Mode. That mode will start the computer in Normal Mode, but without loading a third party video driver.

If that's not it, then there is a good chance that you have a corrupt program or software conflict that is causing the problem (which is why Safe Mode is fine).

Go to Start>run>type in msconfig and click ok. Put a dot on selective startup and choose the option to Disable All and click apply. Does it start up ok now? If so, go back to msconfig, re-enable the startup items, then post back for further instructions.