• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Started for JagiBear XP install

JagiBear

FPCH Member
Hi, i am running windows xp home, with in 5 minutes of starting windows, everything freezes, i am unable to use keyboard or mouse, can only switch off by on/off switch.
Please have you any ideas?
Jagibear x

help4me

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Basic
First...can you supply more specifics on your computer? You can access this information by clicking on START (lower left of your screen) > CONTROL PANEL > PERFORMANCE AND MAINTENANCE > SYSTEM > and then make sure the GENERAL tab is selected in the window that pops up and you will be able to view the system specs for your computer including the processor and the amount of RAM. This is usually the last paragraph of information listed just above the "Support Information" button.

help4me

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Here's a screen shot to show what I mean :)

JagiBear

FPCH Member
ty helpforme, i took out battery before reading your post and it seems to be getting further and further into installing, i will come back with final results. and details of pc if it as not worked. thank you so much xxxxxxxxxxx
Gill

JagiBear

FPCH Member
Hi, i am stuck again, i am formatted my hard disk, and now i need to do partition, i need to apply number between 2406-75567 what should i input for best results please?????
Gill xxx

help4me

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Gill... partitioning is not my strength so I will leave you in the capable hands of the other techies here :)

help4me

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
You're welcome hun :) We'll help you get this all sorted out. Partitioning is not something I feel comfortable walking you through, so I'll let the better techies coach you there :)

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Jagibear

The numbers indicate that you can make a partition size no less than 2406mb to no more than 75567mb.
Basically you have an 80GB hard drive and nearly 2.5GB has already been used, perhaps for your windows installation.
You have roughly 73GB to play with.
C: is your main boot partition and any other partitions made will have an incremental drive letter, example D:
Your cd/dvd drive would then E: etc.
Hope this helps.

JagiBear

FPCH Member
Wolfy your a star thank you very much, i really am a novice and can not understand why i have never looked up free pc help before, i was until 2 years ago scared to death of computors lol, then i played online bingo and became a Chat Master for them, i learned so much, I love to tinker with things i am not good at revising but investigate things that cross my path. i got this pc to tinker with as it was kerknackered. i am loading XP on it now, it loads files, then go`s on to setup is starting windows, and stays on that page it will not move further, cd light is on, but no red light? helpppppppp

Details of PC
LG CDRW 32x10x40 IDE GCE-8320B OEM

LG DVD-ROM 16X IDE GRD-8160B OEM

MERCURY MIDI CASE KOB115 P4/AMD 300W ATX

AMD ATHLON XP-2000+ 266FSE; SKT-A OEM

ALPS FDD 1.44MB OEM

HD IDE 80GB UDMA100 7200RPM

T/TAKE SKT-A UPTO XP2000+ VOLCANO 6CU

BTC KEYBOARD BTC 5201 PS/2 RET

M-TEC DDR266 DIMM 512MB PC2100 OEM

MS MOUSE INTELLIPOINT PS/2 OEM

U/B MODEM 56K V90 PCl HCF CONEXANT R

C/TECH MB SKT-A 7KJD SND GCH DDR ATX

JW 128MB GeF 4 Ti 4200 DDR "TV DV!

looking forward to hear from you.
Gill xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :)=)

W

Wolfeymole

To me either the cd is scratched to hell or it's a pirate copy or your optical drives have problems reading the disk.
Have you tried it in both drives?
What exactly does it say on the XP disk?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi Jagi.

Make sure the cd is clean, and try using the other cd/dvd for the install. Also for the install, disconnect any needless devices such as a printer, web cam, etc. They can be installed after XP is installed.

JagiBear

FPCH Member
Hi Wolf, it is a brand new genuine copy of windows xp, was unopened does not seem to have any scratches on it at all, i have the patience of a saint and as long as i have you lovely people by my side i am sure we will crack this (banging head on desk) pmsl i am going to scout around forum maybe i can see something i can try till you come back to me.

Gill xxxxxxx :) :) :) :) :)

W

Wolfeymole

Ok let me get this right, are you trying to reinstall XP or Repair it?
There appears to be a partition of 2.5GB, are you trying to make another partition or what Gill?
Can you give us a complete breakdown of just what you have done so far please.

help4me

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Gill... not to discourage you from trying out possibilities.. but how about you post what you've found BEFORE you try it out. These guys can then tell you if you will be wasting your time with whatever solution you have found. No need for you to do more pc repair than needed ;)

JagiBear

FPCH Member
Hi Guys, i have formatted hard drive and trying to install windows xp. it gets as far as installing files, then goes onto copying files to hard disk and stays on that page forever will not go further and no error messages or anything.
Gill xxxxxxxx

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
How many times have you tried to do the installation? If only once and you ran into a problem, I would try again. On the second and subsequent tries, don't forget reformat the hard drive.

Maybe a better idea ... try doing an XP repair - maybe you enough of Windows loaded for a repair to work.

JagiBear

FPCH Member
Hi Guys i am on xp repair install Wolf has given me i am going through it with a fine tooth comb, be back with results later, and ty Kelly and Wolf, your both TOP !!!!!! mwahhhhhhhhhhh
Gill xx