• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Starting restore

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
KenB said [ remind me to explain how to turn Restore Points on ]

I am thinking that it might be beneficial to restore my W10 lap top. It should resolve a few issues caused by me when I got it first. If I google the term I get taken to a dictionary that explains the word :).
Jim

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced

KenB

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim
As your "System Restore" wasn't turned on - you will have no restore points to revert your system to an earlier date if you turn it on now.
[ This is what I was referring to in another thread ]
Turning System Restore ON could be beneficial to future problems but will not make any difference to your desktop icon problem.
It should be turned on by default.

Restoring the OS, as Starbuck states, is NOT the same thing.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thank you both. I have now turned on the restore facility. None of my actions have turned on the icons on this forum on this post. I am using the desk-top that has W7.
It may seem desirable to have a bloat free OS but I assume that includes solitaire which is my only form of gaming. I'll leave that for the moment.

Your magazine looks useful, how do I get that?
Jim.

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Your magazine looks useful, how do I get that?
There should be a button at the top of the page that links to the magazine.

mag.PNG

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
It may seem desirable to have a bloat free OS but I assume that includes solitaire which is my only form of gaming.
Tricky one this....
normally bloatware is third party programs that the manufacturer has added (to try and make a little extra money).
But, that said... there are programs that M$ add that are also considered bloatware and yes the solitaire collection is in the list.

bloat.PNG

The option that M$ give for installing a bloatware free edition may only remove the manufacturers bloatware and leave their own alone.
As I've never run the bloatware free option I can't say for sure.
If by any chance it did remove the solitaire collection, it can be downloaded free of charge from the microsoft site.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks Starbuck. I'll leave it for now as I am quite happy with solitaire on this W7 machine.
Jim.

Top Bottom