• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Streaming and IM's

virgil

FPCH Member
Hi couple weeks ago i noticed i am unable to connect using either MSN or Yahoo, they are unable to get a connection. Also i cant stream any media, either videos or even just online radio. Never had this problem before...any hints or help would be very much appreciated.

thanks

Sorry i forgot to add, its an Acer travel mate 4200, i run off windows XP, i use firefox as my browser.

virgil

FPCH Member
Wolfeymole said:
Have you got all MS updates Virgil?
Yep always get those done, i have used registry cleaning programs as well.
I can only assume theres some kind of conflict with another program?

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Virgil;
Since it's only been a couple weeks this might be a good time to try System Restore. You can always undo the restore if it doesn't work. Be careful with those registry cleaners.
RandyL

virgil

FPCH Member
well when i say its been a few weeks its closer to a month or so, i tried a system restore but it didnt fix the problem, i dont suppose anyone has had the same problem

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Virgil;
I don't really know. Have you tried setting IE to the default settings?

virgil

FPCH Member
Ok tried to run IE and it wont load, havent used it for months to be honest as i prefer firefox, just unable to load up any webpage using IE..

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi again Virgil;
In addition to the above have you done any anti-spyware scans after updating your software?
Maybe it's viruses or trojans or spyware since IE and Firefox are both acting up.
Have you updated to the latest version of Firefox?

Look at this link. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/ietopten.mspx
Check your Hosts files. Clean your temp files (clean Firefoxes temp files too).
I know everything there won't apply.

It is possible though that your registry cleaner may haved removed the wrong thing but start with the basics first.
RandyL

virgil

FPCH Member
RandyL said:
Hi Virgil;
What firewall are you using? Have you done any antivirus scans?
Right now u could say im between firewalls lol, at the time tho i was using nortons. I did think maybe that was a problem, its expired and ive removed it but the problem remains.
I always use other programs to scan for virus and spyware.

virgil

FPCH Member
when i tried msn messenger it wont work, then when i run repair it comes up with the problem, being the proxy settings..now i know nothing about proxy etc...could there be an issue there that effects everything im having troubles with?

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Perhaps that's a clue. Who is your Internet Service Provider and what type of connection do you use. Dial-up, DSL, Cable?

virgil

FPCH Member
here in New Zealand i use Xtra, its DSl. Been with them over a year never had this problem before. I tried a system restore as fa back as i was allowed, no difference...certainly frustrating!

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi virgil;
You may want to contact your provider to see if they can assist you on this. Here is the link to one of their support pages that has a email and phone number listed. It is possible that the problem is with them. http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,14395,00.html

I am trying virgil.
RandyL

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
It's worth a try. They may be able to help you with your connection settings with them.