• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Stuck halfway formating pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyinlaspalmas

FPCH New Member
Hi Every one.
This is my first post
I use Windows XP
The other day i formated my pc.Iput in my xp cd and chose to boot from cd drive.Every thing was normal untill it asked me for the number,thing is i dont have it any more its an old copy.
I do how ever have a newer version of xp but when i go through the same process it windows starts and i get a screen saying set up is restarting windows then i have to insert the original xp cd but thats not possible as i cant go any further.
I dont have a floppy drive and i am stuck please can you help me with formating my c drive

Thanx in advance

ONY

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Hiya and Welcome to Free PC Help pompeyinlaspalmas.
Please be patient and someone will be along to assist you. :)

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi

Welcome to Free PC Help :)

I'm a bit confused as to you say you have a windows xp disk, but you cant go further. Please tell us if you get any error messages.

pompeyinlaspalmas

FPCH New Member
Hi

Welcome to Free PC Help :)

I'm a bit confused as to you say you have a windows xp disk, but you cant go further. Please tell us if you get any error messages.
Basically i have done my format and now need to install xp.
I started to install WindowsXP but when asked for the number i dont have it so now i need to do another format
I go to boot menu and boot from cdrom then windows begins to start then i get a light blue screen and in top left corner it says "setup is being restarted".
I am then on to the next part of instalation "preparing installation",But i am asked to insertdisk labeled windowsXP.Now this is not possible because the cd i used is one i bought from a friend and i dont think its legit although when i used it b4 it was ok but now i dont have the number to enter.
So i need to reformat .
Hope this is ok

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Unfortunately we cannot help you with installing Windows that is not legit.

The best thing to do is obtain a legal Windows XP disk and then install it.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.