• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Stuck in a loop!

KenB

Administrator
Hi Labi
I have just looked again and it is a "used" item on EBay
ASUS TP300 TP300L TP300LA CMOS / BIOS BATTERY - 6 | eBay

I assume that means there is an option to boot from external device....(?)
No - Legacy USB Support simply means that the USB port is available when booting up / in Safe Mode etc.
It is also needed for older devices.
This will need to be "Enabled" but we must see if Booting from USB is an option in the Boot Order.

If you click on "Add New Boot Option" - can you add USB here ?

I have asked Rustys to advise you on installing Mint - he knows more about this than I do :)

Last edited:

Rustys

Visiting Staff
PC Experience
Some Experience
Depending on what we are planning to do with Mint there may be no need for an install just create the USB and use the live version.

FYI when you are booting into the Live version of Linux it will take a a bit longer to load unlike it would if on a main drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Labi

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks Team for your combined efforts.
Can't find CMOS battery locally so will have to resort to Amazon (think it safer to pass on 'used' from EBay!)
May take a day or two to arrive. Update re outcome will follow idc...
Thanks again..
Labi.

Labi

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi Ken/Rustys

Found out today I'd ordered (and received) the wrong part! Difficult to get the required size battery it seems.
Have appealed to Asus for help: awaiting a response.
Watch this space!
Best, Labi.

Labi

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi Ken/Rustys: I'm back to test your patience again after a long wait for the CMOS battery to arrive from Germany!

After going to the trouble of tracking down the replacement battery, it seems not to have made any difference to performance.
Sorry to kick-off with yet another conundrum but what is most strange is that the battery appears not to affect the BIOS screen at all. The time & date which I had altered manually continues to show the correct info whether or not the battery is connected. In short, I can't tell if the battery
is live as nothing in the BIOS - or it's behaviour - changes, after the new battery is plugged-in?

But anyway, I still get exactly the same message as before when I switch on - "reboot and select proper boot device...." etc. and yes, the HD is shown
under 'Boot Option Priorities' as Boot option no.1.

So far I haven't downloaded Linux Mint/Ubuntu to a USB. I'm not quite sure what to do with it TBH. Is it to replace my Windows 8.1 OS permanently? If so, why not just copy a new version of 8.1 which, after all, I'm more familiar with?

Are there any settings in"Start Easy Flash" under 'Advanced' in the BIOS screen that I should check/adjust before giving up on my old HD...?

Best, Labi.

Labi

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
BTW: didn't intend to imply any criticism re battery replacement advice: just frustration at my lack of understanding re the basics of BIOS
which are stymying progress towards resolving the original problem. :confused-new:

Labi.

KenB

Administrator
I didn't take your comment as criticism at all Labi - I realise it is frustrating - it is at this end too.
We don't like being defeated - not by a machine :)

If the time and date were wrong, as I explained earlier, this is usually indicating the CMOS battery needs replacing.

Download 8.1 from the link that Rustys gave you and I will let him explain what he wants you to do with it.