• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Top ant-virus?

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi

I would like to know what you think is the best anti virus program. Security is very important to avoid alot of problems. I was just wondering what is everyone's opinion on the best anti virus software.
I am running BitDefender and think it is briliant.
I also found this website on antivirus reviews check it out : http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Cheers

Snaily

FPCH Member
I put a lot of faith in AVG. I find that even their free addition detects anything norton will, and of course, its so much more performance freindly

Boomshanka

FPCH Member
i agree Agv is the best specialy if your pc is a bit slow it wont take up too much usage though it dose do a test everytime you turn your pc on that slows it down a bit (you can turn it off) but its much faster than norton wich will slow things down loads same with avast its cool but slow AGV all the way baby

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Nod32 all the way,since using i have never used anything else.uses so little system resources and the update is so simple......and it does all the default task for you,like cleaning etc.and it is always constantly scanning oyur files other and other for changes.....
danzil

I use Symantec Coporate edition 10 and it works perfectly for me
To be honest the best Anti Virus is common sense dont download any old thing and if you download an archive RAR,ZIP etc scan it first

viruses dont usually walk on to your machine they have to be invited...

I like kapersky 6.0 I've had it a few months now with no problem at all. I used to use nortons but it completely slows down your comp!

W

Wolfeymole

I'm with Danzil on this one.

I run Nod32's Security Suite which comprises AV, Firewall, Anti Spam and Anti Spyware components.

It's very good indeed.

Dotty

FPCH Member
I prefer Avast, I used to have Avg but the update process was slow whereas Avast is much faster and less conflicting

Dotty

FPCH Member
when I had recent problems with my pc, Avg found nothing so I scanned with Avast and it found 2 trojans! needless to say that was the end of Avg for me.

Greytabby

FPCH Member
my hubby and i have mcafee...we like it a lot as anti virus software goes.. (when considering ones that cost.) when we had norton it caused our computer to crash a half dozen times.. and hubby had to re build the pc each time... (i don't know what that means exactly or if it is the correct phrase.) anyway he got rid of norton and got mcafee instead...so far so good...
kat

We only use AVG, but you have to remember its only for viruses, not spyware adware or trojans (although it will pick up some).

In the workshop it often picks up viruses that norton and mcaffe missed.

I have yet to find one piece of software to do all 4.

Dave

DSTM

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I use Antivir with full time guard. Never let any nasties past, and does a good job for me.
One Question,does anybody know how to remove the nag screen Add,they put on your screen every update.
Thanks in advance.

Santa

FPCH Member
I'm currently using AVG and I've never had any problems with it - it uses less system resources than some of the more commercial Anti Virus softwares, the update process is not too slow, and, ultimately, its free.

TechAdvance said:
To be honest the best Anti Virus is common sense dont download any old thing and if you download an archive RAR,ZIP etc scan it first
Ah, you beat me to it! Yes, the best way to avoid malicious files is simply to be wary of what you download, what websites you visit etc - constant vigilance! :p. Of course, this must be combined with some AV software - its highly unlikely that common sense will keep every sort of malicious file at bay.

PS: Maybe we should start a poll for this thread with some of the more commonly used Anti Virus softwares listed? i.e.

AVG
Antivir
Norton AntiVirus
Mcafee
Avast
Nod32
etc.

Just a thought =)
Liam.